My laptop starts automatically

whiterob

My laptop keeps starting up by itself when I put it in hibernate mode. It does this at random times with no appearant pattern. Does anyone have a suggestion to what it could be?

I have checked the device manager and looked at "allow this device to wake the computer" and nothing seems to be checked.

I'm thinking it may be caused by my wireless card. I checked the event viewer and saw something about this. I then looked in the device manager and looked to see if "allow this device to wake my computer" box was checked but you couldn't check or uncheck it so I don't know. Nothing else had this box checked so I don't really know.

In the event viewer it said it resumed from sleep but under "wake source" it says "unknown".

I had the same problem on my XPS. It was starting precisely at 0837ET almost every morning. I later found that Media Center was bringing the laptop out of hibernation for an update. I found it in the Event Viewer: Event Viewer (local), Applications and Services, Media Center, in Events I found the earliest entry for that day (which was 0839), clicked on it and found the scheduled start at 08:37:34 in the General tab below it. Now all I have to do is change the time.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...