What is the best Windows File Copy alternative ?

Apollo232

What about if you copy a lot of files and a file is corrupted? In Windows XP the whole copy process stops. What happens with TeraCopy?

it logs an error (doesnt popup) and continues with the copy. you can retry it or redo the copy and select "older only" as the overwrite option. it will skip exsisting files with the same date or newer dates and finish the copy.

I had a pretty good look at TeraCopy myself (the paid version) and its copy operations using 30MB chunks and all (time spent in process monitor, benchmarking, etc). I didn't really notice any improvement in performance overall. It only seemed to introduce a strange explorer GUI glitch (caused by its shell extension -- gone when it was removed). YMMV.

I never considered using an alternative to the built-in windows copy and paste.

Gave teracopy a shot. Although I haven't notices that it's faster than the built-in over the network, I gotta say there are some great features such as

* ability to pause

* ability to add files from different folder for copying at once rather than having to do them separately.

One annoying feature is that it insists being on top unless it's minimized to task bar. Haven't found a way to turn that off in options.

Edited by spacesurfer

• 2 weeks later...
Now this is something I could never get. What's wrong with just right clicking something, picking copy out of the context menu, then plastering it where you want it?

What's wrong with it is that it's not productive when you want to copy X number of files found in Y number of folders all to the same folder. In this case you would have to click Z number of times by going to Y number of folders and copying them.

With Teracopy, you can put all those files is a queue and copy them at once! And there are other benefits.

• 2 months later...

KillCopy v2.85 is the May be, I tested a FastCopy and KillCopy have a constancy, something a can't say for FastCopy.

About terra copy i can say that program is not bad but buffer i to slow compared with KillCopy and FastCopy. KillCopy uses a 1000 mb of ram, FastCopy - 35 - a little advantage in this aspect for FastCopy. Advantage for KillCopy for me is the resume manager into a program and very easy build of Queue then this is important. In FastCopy this option is a little difficult and i have this one for "defect", if a can say that.

So after a few test my choise for now is KillCopy. Works great on XP (32&64)bits, Vista (32&64 ), bits and i have no problems with work of the Russian product.

Edited by kolche

I can't udnerstand why in new version on teracopy not content a buffer limiter controller.

BTW only killcopy can copy files with speed 40 MB/s. I did a test with killcoy and Teracopy and super copier2 with iso wich size is a 3.31 GB. Only kill copy copyed an iso file for 1.16 minutes.

I can say more that FastCopy contains a trojan horse. Results is from virustotal.com

Scan Results for FastCopy.exe

Scan Result for FastCopy SetUp file

Edited by kolche

+1 For Teracopy

For Some Reason The Copy Process In Vista Is A Bit Slow, Although This Isuue Was Somewhat Fixed With SP1, It's Still Relatively Slow. It Does't Utilize The Hard Disks Buffer Efficiently.

Besides, Teracopy Has Features That Beats Default File Handler Anyday.

Pause/Resume; Manage Buffer; Skip Damaged Files Without Stopping Other Files From Copying; Verification Of Copied Files Etc.

There Are Some Initial Issues With User Account Control And Teracopy But They Can Easily Be Fixed, Other Than That It Is An Excellent GUI File Handler