XP crashes on USB Stick Insert

nullbyte

Hello... For some while now, when I plugin an USB stick into my computer, after ~5 mins it crashes, and if I copy to or from it, crashes on less than 2 mins...What's wrong? It freezes, and the only option left is hard reset.

Hello... For some while now, when I plugin an USB stick into my computer, after ~5 mins it crashes, and if I copy to or from it, crashes on less than 2 mins...What's wrong? It freezes, and the only option left is hard reset.

Hi, maybe the stick is infected? or something is wrong with device manager,I did have a problem with stick,it wouldnt open he played dead. But this? I`ll look into it

Hi, maybe the stick is infected? or something is wrong with device manager,I did have a problem with stick,it wouldnt open he played dead. But this? I`ll look into it

I had Ubuntu some time ago, the same thing was happening. I tried the stick on other computer, works perfectlly.

Try using in another PC. If still same symptom, your usb stick could be faulty. Also, test with another USB stick to see if symptom is repeatable on same computer.

If not, try to see if this HP site helps? or this or google around this topic

1. Like someone else stated, try the stick in another computer. If the same thing happens then the stick is bad.

2. Try using the stick on the same computer under a different operating system installation either on a different installation location or removable media. If the same thing happens, try a different stick.

3. If the other stick fails, then you likely have a bad motherboard and/or usb controller

• 2 weeks later...

Try another USB controller.

Like, if having problems on a front USB port, compare with one on the back.

Quite often the cables of front ports are not shielded properly and this for behave far from reliable, specially for USB2.

Or the internal connector does not sit properly.

Also think about adding some extra PCI controller for USB2.