Sort different directories , permanently? (date, alpha, size, etc.)

emarkay

I have images I want sorted by Date Modified, documents I want by Date Created, other files I want (ascending) alphabetically sorted, and another directory/folder I want sorted by descending alphabetic.

So each time I go to "Fiel Open" in the application, the files appear as desired.

Oh, and "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

This is in XP SP3 - Home and Pro.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

THANKS!

MRK

I have images I want sorted by Date Modified, documents I want by Date Created, other files I want (ascending) alphabetically sorted, and another directory/folder I want sorted by descending alphabetic.

So each time I go to "Fiel Open" in the application, the files appear as desired.

Oh, and "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

This is in XP SP3 - Home and Pro.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I also do not know of a solution with respect to folder settings. However, FWIW, I grew tired of the burden placed on the GUI by utilizing Remember each folder's view settings. These type of per-user preferences are stored in the registry. Each dive into a folder leads to a corresponding lookup of these settings and those registry keys grow large and unwieldly. I delete the keys often which reverts things back to basic alphanumeric sort without all the time lags.

Instead, when I need to permanently sort files I find it advantageous to insert a prefix or suffix to the filename. For example let's say you have a folder with these files ...

0aab56dt.img

lkuhsdfj.img

kjhsfjui.img

ijhwfjji.img

vbc34smm.img

You just add something useful to them (maybe their dates) like so ...

(2008-06-02)_0aab56dt.img

(2008-07-26)_lkuhsdfj.img

(2008-03-12)_kjhsfjui.img

(2008-10-07)_ijhwfjji.img

(2008-01-17)_vbc34smm.img

Click on the Name field and they are sorted Ascending ...

Click on the Name field again and they are sorted Descending ...

The good thing with this simple method is that the original filename is not lost, Search/Find will still work, and the sortability is persistently maintained even if folder settings get modified later.

Great minds do think alike - all my docs are prefixed with "103008-" (the date) and so are most of my images - but not all images have been so renamed

and I have a bunch of files on a remote HDU (OK, music files if you must) that are "Artist - Title" named and I like to keep those alpha oriented.

I need to keep my drawings with project name first because . . . . !!!!! Waitaminute - I can just creat sub-subdirs under project name and then the date naming will work.... as well as teh project name - OK will need to redo my Batch-file based backuop system, but - yea - Sub-Subdirs...

Let me try that. Will let you know.

Cool... Thanks!

MRK