can Anyone Verify these Are The Same?

eyeball

Please can someone have a look at the links below, they are 2 very different prices but appear to be the exact same card, can anyone verify this for me please?

http://www.cck4business.co.uk/ProductDetai...GL&CartID=1

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124456

Thanks

P.S i realise the top link is without VAT, but it still only comes to £470! :)

Edited by eyeball

I still think im going to go with the 3Ware one, it supports server 2008 and i cant find much on the one you suggested Crahak with regards to server 2k8 to be honest.

Also one more question if anybody knows,

The bus is a PCI Express 8X, forgive my stupidity but am i right in saying that this card fits into one of the graphics card slots? :blink:

Thanks

i cant find much on the one you suggested Crahak with regards to server 2k8 to be honest.

Drivers are right here (x86 and x64).

Anyways, it's completely up to you which one you buy :)

The bus is a PCI Express 8X, forgive my stupidity but am i right in saying that this card fits into one of the graphics card slots? :blink:

It should work in all x8 or most x16 slots (that probably depends on the chipset/bios/if it's SLI or not/config though -- I never tried). The manuals might have more infos.

No the pci-express slot they are talkin about is the LITTLE one right below or between your graphics slot.

No, those are in 99% of cases X1 slots. Won't work.

Edited by crahak

Apologies Crahak you are quite right, I must have overlooked those drivers... now im torn between the 2 again, 2008 drivers are not supported on the 3ware card.

Also I have just checked that slot on 2 boards I have and it is a 1X slot. So would it just fit in 16X slot and effectively use only half of the bandwidth?

Thanks

EDIT: just been back to their site and i did not notice the FTP link on the download page, thanks again Crahak :)

Edited by eyeball

No apologies needed :) I have to admit they don't clearly state they have drivers/support for Win 2008 yet.

I suggested the Areca not so much for the price even (it's just a nice bonus), but mainly because it's somewhat nicer -- tons of little things, e.g. supports more cache memory onboard, the ethernet port, somewhat better software, faster at building arrays, etc. Nothing big, but I just never really wanted to pay extra for a card that seemed lesser to me.

So would it just fit in 16X slot and effectively use only half of the bandwidth?

Hopefully!

Ok thats it! iv ordered the Areca Card, really thanks a lot for the help on this, i read through the datasheet and I love the sound of MAID along with the rest of the features, like you mentioned the ethernet port sounds really cool, i will be able to http to my RAID card :D

Im building a server cause im sick of storing things across my computer and messing about with it all the time, now all i need to do is save some more for the rest of it, but at least thats the most expensive thing out of the way.

Thank you

Im building a server cause im sick of storing things across my computer and messing about with it all the time, now all i need to do is save some more for the rest of it, but at least thats the most expensive thing out of the way.

Thank you

Well, I was going to do that a while ago. But most nice Intel boards already have 6 SATA ports, sometimes 8 (like my P35-DS3R). Combined with a $25 SATA [software] RAID card (generic/cheapo silicon image chipset), I got 12 SATA ports, without shelling out mega $$$. And the performance is great on the onboard ICH9R (for the OS and such). As for the silicon image-based card, it works great (no issues whatsoever), and the performance is overkill regardless (just how much speed does one need to stream movies and music?). That leaves you with hundreds of dollars/euros/gbp/whatever currency left to buy hard drives (like a half dozen 1TB'ers) and/or a good case to hold the drives (I went with a Stacker 810 for that -- 12 drive bays, all cooled by quiet 120mm fans with good airflow).

For the price of one of those, you can just about buy a case (like the stacker 810), along with an entire PC with 12 SATA ports to act as a iSCSI SAN or such (you could even cluster them...) The cards are VERY nice, and a must-have when the performance is required (server usage), but for home use, it's a lot of $ for performance you probably don't need.

Edited by crahak

Apologies Crahak you are quite right, I must have overlooked those drivers... now im torn between the 2 again, 2008 drivers are not supported on the 3ware card.

Actually... as of version 9.5.1, Vista and Server 2008 are supported on all 3ware 9650SE cards. :)

http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=14928

Also, crahak, with regards to your statement, I can see the understanding of where you're coming from. If you're going for pure data storage, you don't need to spend rediculous amounts of money on a hardware RAID card. Your solution is one of the best from the point of view of final cost vs storage. In some situations, there are significant benefits to having a dedicated controller. I paid $600 CAD for my 9650SE-8LPML a little over a year ago, and I've loved every penny of it.

In some situations, there are significant benefits to having a dedicated controller. I paid $600 CAD for my 9650SE-8LPML a little over a year ago, and I've loved every penny of it.

And there's truly nothing wrong with that either :) I just had no requirement for a very expensive RAID card that has a fancy processor to offload XOR'ing in RAID 5/6 or such (most of my drives aren't in RAID, just mounted on the filesystem, looks like yet another directory). Streaming mpeg4 at around 1mbit or mp3's at a fraction of that isn't very demanding at all. And the ICH9R gives more than acceptable results for the OS (not as good as one of those, but still fast, and so much cheaper). I just went with the inexpensive solution instead of the high-end/high-performance one.