Can someone please tell me where i am going wrong here

crazyjust

I have been trying to make a custom xp pro disk for the past few weeks with nlite. I start with my xp pro sp1 cd and slipstream sp2 if this helps any. I have to make a dvd disk because of the size (over 1.4 gb). The install disk works and autoplay works but i cannot boot from it. Yes i have my boot order right in my bios, before anyone asks lol. I Made a new setup.exe with autoplay media studio 7 and replaced the setup.exe before I burned it. Is my custom setup.exe causing this problem or is it because of burning onto dvd instead of cd or something else i totally missed? I have searched the forum and i do apologize if it is here and i haven't searched for the right words or something. Any help would be great

firstly, why not slipstream sp3?

secondly.. what are you adding to the build thats adding 900mb of extra stuff to it? :blink:

third.. i have no idea what media studio 7 is, but skip that step and see what happens in your next build.

crazyjust,

There is not much information to go on here. What are you using to burn the DVD? Did you add the boot sector? If you are not using nLite, perhaps you should try that and see what happens. I use nLite to burn all my CDs and DVDs. If it is rewritable, be sure to erase it first. I would assume that the setup.exe is associated with the install and not the boot, but perhaps you could share with us what is modified here. Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini. Did you alter the ntldr or any of the boot files?

Enjoy, John.

I extracted the boot sector from the cd with ultra iso...the only files i modified were winntbbu.dll and sysdm. I replaced SETUP.exe with the one i made(which i had said). I used nlite to create an iso and i added the boot sector the first time using ultra iso to burn it. I used nlite and added the boot sector. this time I did a direct burn and got the same thing. Everything seems to work good except i cant boot from it. Sorry I didnt get into much detail.Here is that file attached that you requested.

LAST_SESSION.INI

crazyjust,

I see nothing unusual in your LastSession.ini that I think might explain your problem. Therefore, I assume it has something to do with the changes you have made to the boot and setup files. I would suggest you try making an ISO (I hope you are using a virtual system such as VirtualBox or VirtualPC) with just your nLited source with the original boot and setup files and create/burn with nLite. Let us know how it turns out. I am sure more than one of us are interested in why and what you are changing in the boot/setup areas.

Enjoy, John.

i think the problem is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard. with 900mb of additional files + some custom setup.exe tomfoolery, there is bound to be some problems somewhere in all that mess