OEM DVD Question

Okay so, I have 2 HP OEM Vista 32 and 64 bit Business DVDs but after hours of trial and error, I came here for help!!

I am trying to figure out how this DVD selects which version to install as it doesnt give me the option, yet the EULA is for Business!!

I transfer it without UNATTENDED.xml that came on the DVD (which had the following line that lead me to belive it would select it)

cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:d:/sources/install_windows vista business.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi"

Main objective:

- Make the installing edition selectable

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If your autounattended.xml has this code it will

install ultimate version. Substitute any version.

You should delete "install from" section enable os choice.

- <InstallFrom>

- <MetaData wcm:action="add">

<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>

<Value>Windows Vista ULTIMATE</Value>

</MetaData>

</InstallFrom>

Edited by The Felon

Look in sources folder and see if there is a file called PID.TXT this has your OEM serial in it if you remove the file it s will give you the option to select which version of vista you want to install also i know there is also a pid.txt in boot.wim 2 on dell oem dvd'd this needs to be romoved also don't know if this is there on HP dvd's.

It could also be that there is only 1 version of vista in the install.wim file if so then you wont have the option to install other versions.

well this selects business by default because its a business OEM dvd... the key wouldnt be ultimate, but it is the key that is automatically inputted when I installed business (trying to do ultimate) on a virtual machine

also, is this significant? it was in product.ini

[sku]
skuid=PRODUCT_STARTER,PRODUCT_HOME_BASIC,PRODUCT_HOME_PREMIUM,PRODUCT_BUSINESS,PRODUCT_ENTERPRISE,PR
ODUCT_ULTIMATE,PRODUCT_HOME_BASIC_N,PRODUCT_BUSINESS_N

[cmi]
namespace=urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend
UseVistaRtmKeys=true
ClientServerSplit=true
AnswerFileFormat=1
[BuildInfo]
staged=BUSINESS,BUSINESSN,HOMEBASIC,HOMEBASICN,HOMEPREMIUM,ULTIMATE

Edited by juggernaut911

Is this an HP OEM SLP DVD does it have PID.TXT file in sources folder, did it come with HP machine and was it preinstalled or did you by the dvd from elswhere do you need to input a serial number when installing vista?

Is this an HP OEM SLP DVD does it have PID.TXT file in sources folder, did it come with HP machine and was it preinstalled or did you by the dvd from elswhere do you need to input a serial number when installing vista?

SLP? It is an HP OEM business Recovery (without HP bloatware).

it has PID.TXT in the sources folder.

it came with an HP machine I dont have anymore (I have the code still).

if I delete business from install.wim, it asks for a code (the only instance of this, havent gone into depth for that)

@ juggernaut911, ok thats made thing a lot clearer as long as the pid.txt file is in sources you will never be able to select a different what version of vista to install you need to delete pid.txt file it will have the HP business number in it thats what tells setup what version to install.

Also compare the number in pid.txt file to the number that you have to install vista i,e, the number you got off the computer case.

Definition of OEM:

The term, OEM (original equipment manufacturer) refers to companies that make products for others to repackage and sell. Resellers buy OEM products in bulk, minus the costly retail packaging that comes with individually sold units. The product itself is essentially the same as its more expensive, retail-packaged sibling. OEM products are used in many industries, but are perhaps most prevalent in electronics.

Generally, dealers of OEM products add something of value before reselling the merchandise. An OEM vendor that does this is known as a "value added reseller" (VAR). A VAR might build components, sub-systems, or systems from quality OEM parts. OEM goods allow VARs a wide range of creative marketing choices, which permits smaller dealers to be competitive in the marketplace.

OEM software will have different product numbers than retail packages, and support may be provided by the VAR, rather than the maker of the software. Functionally, OEM and retail versions of software should be essentially the same.

Two kinds of OEM Product Keys:

OEM SLP Keys:

* OEM SLP (System-Locked Pre-installation) keys are only issued to the big manufacturers such as Dell, Asus, Sony, etc.

* These are the only keys that are able to bypass activation that is, perform offline activation without contacting Microsoft.

* They will work with any OEM SLP system, regardless of the OEM system's brand i.e. Product Keys are not brand specific.

OEM NONSLP Keys:

* Similar to Retail, but distributed and supported by an OEM. Needs activation by phone or online and they are not brand specific. .

OEM COA Keys:

* OEM COA keys (Certificate of Authentication) are regular OEM keys that require activation, either by phone or online and they are not brand specific.

(you will find the sticker with the key underneath you Laptop or on the side of you PC)

* These keys will work in general same as Retail or Upgrade keys and can be used only once.

OEM SLP Product Keys activation:

* You need is an OEM SLP Product Key that matches the version of Windows Vista you have installed or are going to install.

(Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate), plus the OEM certificate matching the SLIC table

* The OEM SLP Product Key does not have to match the OEM-brand certificate nor the OEM-brand BIOS ACPI_SLIC information.

(The only ones that need to match are the OEM-brand certificate and the OEM-brand BIOS ACPI_SLIC information.)

* SLP activation doesn't work with Vista Release Candidates or Vista Beta versions. Only the final version (RTM, Retail or OEM).

i.e.: A+B+C = Vista Activated Offline

OEM SLP Key + OEM Certificate + Full SLIC Table = Vista Activated Offline

If one (A,B or C) is missing, activation will fail!

P.S. if you are trying to use this on a none HP Computer without SLIC in bios it will never activate.

Edited by urie