SP3 instead of SP2 OK?

michaelas

I am re-installing XP and am confused about service packs. I have been getting the SP2 updates, and now am getting SP3. My question is, when I reinstall SP, do I still need SP2, or can I simply download and install the current SP3?

Thanks

You can update to SP3 immediately after install, and then apply the updates that have been released since. Alternatively, you can use the MSFN Unattended Guide to slipstream SP3 into your installation source files.

Thanks. I am having some confusion about this, especially since another forum states that I need SP 1a OR Sp2 before installing SP3.

My version of XP contains SP1 (not 1a, I presume). Are you saying, therefore, that after XP install I can install SP3 without installing SP1a or SP2?

My confusion may stem from thinking that SP3 includes all the previous versions, that SP3 is a "stand alone" version, but apparently it is not?

Thanks. I am having some confusion about this, especially since another forum states that I need SP 1a OR Sp2 before installing SP3.

My version of XP contains SP1 (not 1a, I presume). Are you saying, therefore, that after XP install I can install SP3 without installing SP1a or SP2?

My confusion may stem from thinking that SP3 includes all the previous versions, that SP3 is a "stand alone" version, but apparently it is not?

You only need SP1a or SP2 on your install disc before you slipstream SP3 if you want to have media that will allow you to bypass the product key insertion during setup. If you slipstream from SP0 (RTM) to SP3, your resulting media will require a product key. If, however, you slipstream from SP1a or SP2 to SP3 it will not.