Advanced won't stay ticked in Search

doveman

I've recently installed XP SP3 using an nlited disc with Search Assistant removed.

The thing is, now I can't get Search to default to have Advanced Options ticked and it's rather annoying having to remember to tick it every time I use it.

I've tried all the registry tweaks I could find:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001

"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant]

"SocialUI"=dword:00000000

"UsageCount"=dword:00000001

"UseAdvancedSearchAlways"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]

"Use Search Asst"="yes"

I've even tried re-installing Search Assistant using srchasst.inf and manually registering the two dll files associated with it, but I still get the classic Search with Advanced unticked everytime.

I don't particularly want the Search Assistant back, but I'm puzzled why it isn't after doing all that. I definitely would like Advanced to stay ticked!

Are you saying that at one time you definitely did NOT have to tick the Advanced Options???

IOW: Was it already ticked when you opened Search?

I'd love to know how you got it to do that in the first place.

Wonder if doing a new build with Search Assistant left in, with the same reg settings, would get this back?

Ref:

http://www.msfn.org/board/print.html&c...=70&t=26747

http://www.msfn.org/board/print.html&c...=70&t=21330

http://www.msfn.org/board/print.html&c...=70&t=33179

Well, on non-nlited builds (so with Search Assistant), Search doesn't show a tick box for "Advanced Options" but if I click on the expand arrows next to "More advanced options" it shows the options that I used for the last search already ticked and regardless of whether I expand "More advanced options" or not, it observes the ticked parameters when I search.

I can't be bothered to do a new build just to see if leaving Search Assistant enabled fixes this but I'll certainly leave it in next time I use nlite.

Hmmm,

My expand arrows only show the text "Search Options".

The only way I can see the sub options is to tick "Advanced Options".

And when I search say for oem on c:/ it finds

0 files w' "Advanced Options" NOT ticked

and

37 files w' "Advanced Options" ticked (w' the sub options already ticked)

I guess when testing various combinations of settings, people need to actually search for a system file; rather than just look to see if the "Advanced Options" option stayed ticked.

Maybe someone who does NOT remove Search Assistant can let us know what settings work for them.

Just to clarify, Search is exactly as you've described with my nlite (with Search Assistant removed) build, which I believe is referred to as "Classic Search".

I'd be surprised if Search in an nlite build with Search Assistant left in looks or behaves in any way different from a standard build, but of course I can't be certain till I've tried it.