SP2 vs SP3

the-matrix

... Im sure several of 'em are security patches.

That HAS to be the understatement of the century. Several HUNDRED are labelled "security" or are actually security-related.

Godd luck with SP2. I hope you have a really good hardware firewall. Otherwise you have about 10 minutes to get fully patched before your computer is (re-)infected. (source: SANS.org)

... Im sure several of 'em are security patches.

That HAS to be the understatement of the century. Several HUNDRED are labelled "security" or are actually security-related.

I believe the statement was intended to have a hint of sarcasm...but yeah, MANY security patches in SP3

Godd luck with SP2. I hope you have a really good hardware firewall. Otherwise you have about 10 minutes to get fully patched before your computer is (re-)infected. (source: SANS.org)

This would only be true for an UN-patched installation of SP2. Running SP2 with all recommended security patches is just as secure as running SP3. If you install a fresh XP with SP2, I would recommend applying all updates prior to any online activities.

Frankly, I think SP3 is great for slipstreaming into new installation sources, but since SP3 is primarily nothing more than a cumulative patch roll-out (unlike SP2, which included many changes to the OS), I don't really see the need to apply it systems that are already running with SP2 and are fully up-to-date with patches and hotfixes. IMO, anyway.