Windows XP SP1a ULZ

How can I make an update file list for Windows XP SP1a, all possible updates without going into SP2 or IE7 or WMP 9/10/11?

-------------------

I have created a Windows XP SP1a (x86) ENU file for download.

This seems to be the last never to be updated list ever.

This is useful for people who wish to install SP1a XP on an old laptop or PC where SP2 would slow the performance of their machine tremendously.

My next working list will be for Windows XP Vanilla (before SP1). Again, this is useful for old PCs & laptops that are too slow to run SP2.

PS: I wasn't allowed to upload *.ul files so I 7-Zipped it (http://www.7-zip.org/).

PSS:

1. Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

2. Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

3. DirectX

4. (3 other cannot finds in optional)

Keeps on being updated (URL broken) so might be better to remove from update list.

windows_xp_sp1a_x86_enu.7z

Edited by andrewwan1980

• 3 weeks later...

i suggest doing as I,

read the UL Schema note from jcarle and try to create one.

I'm in the process of learning for two reason:

a: my benefit & knowledge

b: help others who have done this also but can no longer continue

no worries man and good luck as my first go is failing for an unknown reason

Currently am building the SP1a post update list. It's massive so probably do ten updates per day, etc. Do we have to follow the same categories as jcarle? I just want to use Microsoft's Windows Update categories: High Priority, Software, Optional, etc.

Once made I guess I could submit to jcarle and hopefully he can put it up on his website. The good thing is that it'll never ever need updating coz of end-of-life. But some people out there might still be using SP1a (like myself).

Do you know if it's easy to write converters (or maybe there already exists converters) to convert from jcarle's WUD to other's like AutoPatcher, ctupdate, etc.

i would love to answer, but have no idea as i can't my own to work, hence my thread asking to know if what i had done works.

Do you know how to make a .ul or is it .ulz file?

I mean do we just save as? or is there a trick!!

i would love to answer, but have no idea as i can't my own to work, hence my thread asking to know if what i had done works.

Do you know how to make a .ul or is it .ulz file?

I mean do we just save as? or is there a trick!!

I just followed your advice and read the author's thread about the UL XML schema. I then looked in C:\Program Files\Windows Updates Downloader\ folder and found no UL files. So you have to download and install a ULZ. Just go to the ULZ download page and download & open USING WUD.

It will decompress the UL to C:\Program Files\Windows Updates Downloader\ folder. It's just a basic XML file.

yeah i get all that, but when i decompress using WUD it dumps file sin temp folder and are ulz, and when i right click to open in notepad++ it is gibberish

i can use the one in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Office-2003-ENU-...07-t101763.html

to read as opens as a text file viewable and editable.

I can't fathom how to open a ulz as an xml file to play with.

How did you do it?

we will win :)

yeah i get all that, but when i decompress using WUD it dumps file sin temp folder and are ulz, and when i right click to open in notepad++ it is gibberish

i can use the one in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Office-2003-ENU-...07-t101763.html

to read as opens as a text file viewable and editable.

I can't fathom how to open a ulz as an xml file to play with.

How did you do it?

we will win :)

I am using an old version WUD225B895 coz I haven't got time to update. After you open a ULZ file using WUD (the actual program exe)... then you'll find a UL file in the programs folder (wait a couple seconds).

tried and no luck

always gives me what i had previous

even uninstalled and re-installed and still gives me what i had loaded before

thanks for helping, i will crack this

means then that my attempt probably works....

could you please have a look at my thread and see if it does? at least i'll know that is ok and just need to know why app will not see any i create.

i'm using the newest version and your using one before then which may have a bearing?!?!