HELP: XP drivers not installing woes... :S

andrewwan1980

Is there anyone really good with knowing the technical side of Windows XP drivers?

I have a Dell Vostro 1400 laptop that comes with Windows XP/Vista drivers.

I reformated and installed Windows XP SP1a because I want to use SP1a for experimental/development purposes. However, the Dell / Creative Labs Laptop Integrated Webcam & SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio drivers will not install because it says wrong OS. These are the Windows XP drivers but they refuse to install. I believe it's because it has been programmed to detect SP2 or higher and nothing else.

I believe these drivers will work on any XP service pack regardless of version. It's just that Creative Labs & SIGMATEL has programmed their installation to detect SP2 and upwards.

Does anyone know how I can change this or force the drivers to install?

My Dell drivers:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...-1&impid=-1

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...-1&impid=-1

YAHOOOO!!! I can't believe it worked!

First I couldn't update the PCI Device in Other Devices category in Device Manager. I thought it was the audio card. Then I noticed unknown device listed in the System Devices, so I thought to Update Driver pointing it to the audio drivers (that won't install). To my surprise it was the UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio??? As soon as this was installed, dozens of PCI Device's popped up, like modem and sound card. So I update driver on the sound pci device and wola! it worked!

am so happy!!!

Now, all I need now is to get my integrated Dell web cam working...

In the future, you can note this. The "wrong OS" message was coming from the installer for the drivers. In most cases, you can unpack the installer with WinRaR, which *may* allow you to get the actual drivers out of it. Then you can manually update the driver in Device Manager and have it look at those drivers and see if it can install. I've had to do this a couple times.

In the future, you can note this. The "wrong OS" message was coming from the installer for the drivers. In most cases, you can unpack the installer with WinRaR, which *may* allow you to get the actual drivers out of it. Then you can manually update the driver in Device Manager and have it look at those drivers and see if it can install. I've had to do this a couple times.

Yes, this only works on SOME device drivers (like the sound card)... but my integrated webcam isn't happy. I already removed a line from the installer's ini file which specifies for at least SP2. I get an error when trying to install. I tried the search on the inf folder but it still won't find it. So I forced it to take the web cam driver (one of them... coz there's like oem002, oem 004, folders).. and it gave me a BSOD.

Luckily XP rebooted back to normal fine.

It might help to post to the correct forum since this is a driver issue not an XP issue.

MOVED.

Also, as those webcam's are normally directly connected to the USB bus you will likely find that it will not work without SP2 as is is with many USB devices. MS greatly enhanced USB functionality in SP2.