changing drive letter of xp boot volume

careless_hxuk

Hi all

For some reason, this new computer I built has the drive letters all wrong. My main drive, which should be C:, is in fact I:. This hasn't caused too many problems so far, as windows is quite happy to accept I: as its drive, but it causes problems on the network for various reasons.

Unfortunately, disk management won't let me simply change the drive letter, and the registry fix I tried (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188) just killed the machine. I had hoped it would be possible to use recovery console to do it, but I can't find any useful instructions on that.

I get the feeling it should be possible, but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?

Possible, yes. easy, no. worth the possible headaches usually not. You are better off reloading the machine so that the boot drive ends up being C: rather than trying to go through the registry and replacing every reference of I: to C:

Possible, yes. easy, no. worth the possible headaches usually not. You are better off reloading the machine so that the boot drive ends up being C: rather than trying to go through the registry and replacing every reference of I: to C:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'reloading'. It is permanently set at I: so restarting the machine doesn't make a difference, so presumably you meant I should reinstall windows? That would be a major headache, to be honest, so I'd be interested to hear the 'possible' options ;)

what iceman said. You either have more than one hdd or another device attached when you installed Windows, hence the non-C volume designation. I always disconnect my secondary drives , install the OS, then reconnect them.