How do i get a text file on desktop

crazyjust

crazyjust,

Sure there is. Probably the easiest is to use WPI (see forum a couple below nLite). First create an account using nLite Unattended section and set it to autologon. The account will be logged on in the final reboot of the install. WPI will then run and you can copy what ever you like to the desktop or any other place. I do this on each install. There are other methods that may have an inherent problem with the path structure not being create yet due to the account initialization not being complete. If you are using a virtual system (e.g. VirtualBox, VirtualPC) then you could do some experiments and let us all know what works and what doesn't. RunOnce (Unattended again) may work. You can place you file on the CD during the Bootable ISO section (see Explore at bottom). You can create a structure like this in your source root:

$OEM$\$DOCS\account-name\DeskTop\file-name. You would replace account-name and file-name with what you want. If this works, then the file will be on the desktop when the install is complete.

It would be nice if you could let us know what works.

Enjoy, John.

Hello crazyjust,

Actually, just to add to what Johnhc said, if you don't mind other users having that same file on their desktop as well, you can simply add this folder to the root of your Windows Source directory (the one that nLite uses to create its files):

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop

...and just add your textfile to that directory. When your nLited Windows installation finishes, I think you will find the file on your desktop.

If you already have a username in mind, and try the following directory structure:

$OEM$\$Docs\Username\Desktop

...you may find that windows will create a folder with that particular username in "Documents and Settings", but if your Admin name is the same as the user name you'd like to use (since we can do so in nLite), you may get

Documents and Settings\Username

Documents and Settings\Username.WorkGroup

...like Johnhc said, there may be a problem because Windows didn't create the file structures yet when Windows gets to the $OEM$ folder (account initialization not complete), but you can give it a shot if you'd like.

There may be a setting you have to enable in nLite to be able to use the $OEM$ folder though - I'm not sure anymore.

Good luck in your quest for an answer! :)

crazyjust and Lodoss,

I tried this and it does indeed work but had unintended consequences. When my install was complete, I had my file on C:\Documents and Settings\account-name\Desktop,

but the files for my account were all of the form C:\Documents and Settings\account-name.computer-name. This was not what I intended. I assume Windows install saw the account-name level in the Documents and Settings directory and created a new name. I am afraid the same thing will happen to the All User account also. I tried placing a file in the All User Desktop folder and it does not show up on my DT.

Here is a link explaining the $OEM$ folder:

MSFN $OEM$ Discussion

You can create the folder if it does not exist or add your directories to it if it does. There is no special instruction to nLite. NLite will create the folder if you don't.

I have not tried the Runonce exit but I am also afraid it will have the same bad effect - hope someone will try, however. I do place files in the Windows and System32 folders using the $OEM$ folder but will stick to WPI for copying files and folders to my DT.

Enjoy, John.

Alternative solution:

use 7zsfx method (or winrar method)

Below is 7zsfx method. Instruction on using is here

Your config.txt in this case would be

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

AutoInstall="ai"

GUIMode="2"

OverwriteMode="0"

InstallPath="%userprofile%\\Desktop"

;!@InstallEnd@!

The above method will put whatever textfile (that u put in bin folder ) on your desktop. The trick is, u need to run this exe file in GUIRUNONCE.

During OOBE stage, u will be prompt for username creation. U put the 1st user as yourself and login yourself first (if there are multiple user on this computer) so that the exe file will extract your textfile to your desktop.

Put README.TXT into your i386 directory

Replace the contents of your AXANT5.INF file with this:

------------

[Version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
AdvancedINF=2.5
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DestinationDirs]
file.copy.dt = 16409 ; All Users\Desktop

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = "Windows 2000 CD",\cdrom_ip.5,,\i386

[SourceDisksFiles]
readme.txt = 1

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles = file.copy.dt

[file.copy.dt]
readme.txt

[Strings]

I use this in my fileset, so I know it works.