Blue Screen on Refreshing Vista Performance Score

spacesurfer

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 that has ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I installed Vista 32-bit on it. Problem is after attempting to recalculate the experience score, it blue screens with the file ati3duag.dll file listed on the blue screen and the error is about non-paged fault or something like that.

I'm trying to refresh the score so that, hopefully, Aero gets enabled. I can live with the basic theme right now but does anyone have any way of refreshing the score without making it crash?

Updating score or not, drivers shouldn't make it crash. Whenever you get a crash due to a faulty driver (of any kind), the very first thing to do is to find the latest WHQL certified drivers (you can always try other versions too if those don't work).

As crahak said, get the latest approved drivers for your system. I'd first try the ones provided by Lenovo, and then the ATI Catalyst 8.10. You might have to use the Mobility Modder to get them to install.

I'm trying to refresh the score so that, hopefully, Aero gets enabled.
You can force it the non official way but it won´t work smooth.

that system is totally NOT made for Vista so IMHO the BIOS will not support Vista 100% and there you have your problem, a part of the BIOS is the VGA BIOS so even if you would install the latest drivers it´s hard to get it work like you want (but you already noticed that :P).

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 that has ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I installed Vista 32-bit on it. Problem is after attempting to recalculate the experience score, it blue screens with the file ati3duag.dll file listed on the blue screen and the error is about non-paged fault or something like that.

I'm trying to refresh the score so that, hopefully, Aero gets enabled. I can live with the basic theme right now but does anyone have any way of refreshing the score without making it crash?

For some reason the ATI Vista Aero compatibility link is down right now, but here's the list from an archive of the page:

Desktop:
•Radeon HD 4800 Series
•Radeon HD 3800 Series
•Radeon HD 3600 Series
•Radeon HD 2900 Series
•Radeon HD 2600 Series
•Radeon HD 2400 Series
•Radeon X1950 Series
•Radeon X1900 Series
•Radeon X1800 Series
•Radeon X1600 Series
•Radeon X1300 Series
•Radeon Xpress 1250
•Radeon Xpress 1100
•Radeon X850 Series
•Radeon X800 Series
•Radeon X700 Series
•Radeon X600 Series
•Radeon X550 Series
•Radeon X300 Series
•Radeon 9800 Series
•Radeon 9700 Series
•Radeon 9600 Series
•Radeon 9550 Series
•Radeon 9500 Series
•AMD M690 Series Chipset
Multimedia:
•All-in-Wonder X1900 Series
•All-in-Wonder X1800 Series
•All-in-Wonder 2006 PCI Express
•All-in-Wonder 2006 Edition
•All-in-Wonder X800 Series
•All-in-Wonder X600 Series
•TV Wonder 650 PCI
•TV Wonder 200 USB 2.0
•TV Wonder 200 PCI
•Theater 650 PRO
•TV Wonder 550 PCI
•Theater 550 PRO
•TV Wonder Elite
•TV Wonder PRO

Mobile:
•Radeon Xpress 200M
•Mobility Radeon X1800 Series
•Mobility Radeon X1600 Series
•Mobility Radeon X1400 Series
•Mobility Radeon X1300 Series
•Mobility Radeon X800 Series
•Mobility Radeon X700 Series
•Mobility Radeon X600 Series
•Mobility Radeon X300 Series
•Mobility Radeon 9800 Series
•Mobility Radeon 9700 Series
•Mobility Radeon 9600 Series
•Mobility Radeon 9500 Series
•Mobility FireGL V5200
•Mobility FireGL V5000
•Mobility FireGL V3200
•Mobility FireGL V3100

Workstation:
•FireMV 2200 PCIE
•FireMV 2400 PCIE
•FireGL V7350
•FireGL V7300
•FireGL V7100
•FireGL V5100
•FireGL V5000
•FireGL V3200
•FireGL V3100E
•FireMV 2200 PCIE
•FireMV 2400 PCIE

Your thinkpad T42 has the Intel 855 chipset, and the Mobility 7500 video chip is basically a desktop Radeon 7500 chip with the "PowerPlay" technology bolted on. In no way can your video chipset ever hope to run Aero - that chipset is not even DirectX 8.x compliant, let alone 9.x.

The drivers I tried were the ones I downloaded from Lenovo site. Will try Catalyst 8.1.

I wouldn't want to enable Aero it the unofficial way. Whether it's not for Vista or not, it doesn't matter. Actually, Lenovo had drivers for Vista on their site, so, hummm???

Anyway, I've been able to get all the drivers to work except the modem, which I don't use. And with the magic of vLite, Vista is giving me great performance equal to that of XP that I was running.

Well, if Radeon 7500 won't enable, oh well.... I'll learn to live without it. It's just that because the score is there, I just want to refresh the score so it gets updated....

Well, if Radeon 7500 won't enable, oh well.... I'll learn to live without it. It's just that because the score is there, I just want to refresh the score so it gets updated....

All you have to do to reset your score is to go into Control Panel\Performance Information and Tools and click the "Update my score" link. However, your video card won't enable Aero because it's not DX9 capable, not because the score isn't updated. It isn't going to work.

I'm not saying updating the score will enable Aero. What I'm saying is because it's there, I have the urge to update it (b/c of the hardware change after installing the drivers.)

And when I do, it crashes.

Ah, well, that's a horse of a different color ;). Perhaps you could configure your machine for a complete dump, and we could take a look at the next crash dump? It'll probably be because of the ATI driver, but we could at least confirm or deny it.

I will do that when I get a chance..

(FYI, yes I was hoping that refreshing the score would enable Aero, but after a few of you posted it wouldn't, I still wanted to refresh it cause it's just a psychological thing - it's there and wants me to so I want to....)