Lets clean up our reg......

Dude111

I always deleted everything under:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup]

I have removed everything under the FIRST ONE the other day but isnt the second accessed daily?? ('CURRENT USER' means whatever account is using the computer)

Maybe not I dunno....... I have always thought everytihng under CURRENT USER represented the account using the computer..... (Which are read @ least once (@ bootup))

Would be interesting running REGMON and see if that section is ever accessed.....

EDIT:

Im running regmon @ the moment and have excluded ALL BUT HKCU and will look @ it after a few minutes..

I just did a little cleaning of REALPLAYER (I have rp8 (Last good version of Realplayer)),got rid of VISUALIZATIONS (Which i dont ever use) and of course it uses LESS MEMORY now when running! (I didnt realise how many PLUGINS realplayer has! (I reckon I only need 1 (THE CODECS))

I remember once I tried to remove the VISUALIZATIONS for WMP but they came back when i started WMP!! (The keys were recreated) Does anyone know how to remove them??

I have been trying to clean up more things I dont use and such and have noticed The microsoft data access program (ODBC)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC

I dont have Office,Excel,etc..... And I would love clearing this off..... I assume after dumping these keys and getting rid of the EXE program (odbcad32) and all the files (I have 27 files starting with ODBC) there will be a ton of invalid registry entries.... (Im glad I have REGSEEKER,does an excellent cleaning!!)

EDIT:

I got rid of Software/ODBC and Software/MOS (Microsoft Online Services) and there was only 2 KEYS that came up as invalid..... (The CLSID for ODBC.exe of course and one in LOCAL MACHINE (ODBC - "Obsolete Entry")

Edited by Dude111

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing some cleaning in my reg and I looked @ the "Explorer bars" section again

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars

I had 3 entries there..... The 2nd and 3rd ones are needed.. The first one WAS A TOOLBAR FROM ALEXA THAT I GUESS IE INSTALLS WHEN YOU INSTALL IE!!!

I removed the key and did a search for that key and found 1 entry,deleted it then ran regseeker.... 22 active-x keys were now invalid due to that toolbar being removed.. AND I CANT TELL YOU HOW MUCH FASTER MY FOLDERS OPEN!!! (They opened nicely before)

Why do they put these toolbars on browsers??? Especially ones like IE that every folder on your computer IS USING!!

I thought i removed all ALEXA stuff off here years ago!!