Fast web browser for 98?

SPX

I'm also looking for a replacement for IE6 under 98SE. Though I've been using IE6 for years, I started looking for an alternative when IE6 is causing Explorer (yes, Explorer) slow and stop responding under certain situation.

I've installed Opera 9.62 and the problem becomes less serious. Though when opening many tabs, Opera begins to misbehave by not showing the pictures. At least, it does not crash Explorer like IE6.

I didn't select to test FF2 as Opera is still supporting 98SE.

Is FF2 better than Opera and worth looking at? Also I see that some friends are still complaining about some Opera issues.

Anyone got any ideas on the best web browser to run for Win98? I am currently running the newest Opera on a P166/64 MB. Tabs are definitely preferred, as it's a great feature. I think I'm looking for something like Dillo, but for Windows.

I use the latest version of Firefox 2.0.0.18, works great on 98 S.E

:whistle: Firefox2,Maxathon provide the necessary "SAFE-MODE" browser to use to get help on a network when startup problems arise !!!<IE6-"Shoulda done this"SAFE-MODE"capability, years ago :rolleyes: ">

Does it mean that Opera will not work under safe-mode? I didn't tried yet. Under safe-mode, I doubt my onboard network adapter will work at all... :blushing:

Edited by oc_dt

I started encountering difficulty in Opera :wacko: :

1. IME cannot work under Opera, failed to input Chinese/Japanese

2. Some simplified Chinese charactors are missing

No problem at all for IE6.

Anyone having such experience please help.

Is IME supposed to work under FF2?

Maxathon install...:

I've been using maxthon 2 since the first version, and I'm using it just now. Incredibly, if I try to install anew this same version using the install file I keep on a CD, it calls home at start and at install the program is deactivated. No problem at all if I use the same copy while running XP.

This is an example of the "calling home policy" and that's why whenever possible I always use old versions coming from a time before that "generous" policy was invented, no matter if I use Win98 or XP (doubleboot).

Just some progress update:

I've got FF2 installed. Initial impression is good. Unicode and IME support is perfect.

Stress tested it to IPF by opening many many tabs:

FIREFOX caused an invalid page fault in

module MSVCRT.DLL at 0187:7800d17d.

I checked that I've many MSVCRT.DLL on my system, the one in Windows\system\ being at version 6.00.8397.0.

Does it supposed to die?

Edited by oc_dt

FIREFOX caused an invalid page fault in

module MSVCRT.DLL at 0187:7800d17d.

I checked that I've many MSVCRT.DLL on my system, the one in Windows\system\ being at version 6.00.8397.0.

Recommend you audit and possibly update those MSVC (and probably MSVB) libraries in Windows\System. Problems there will mask other problems. Specifically for that file I have been using ...

name       size    date    time    CRC           MD5
MSVCRT.DLL 278,607 03-03-107 2:57p 5E7E7250 65bc591ec5d0556586b55d70fda8c52c
CompanyName Microsoft Corporation
FileDescription Microsoft ® C Runtime Library
FileVersion 6.10.9848.0
InternalName MSVCRT.DLL
LegalCopyright Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999
OriginalFilename MSVCRT.DLL
ProductName Microsoft ® Visual C++
ProductVersion 6.10.9848.0