What are all these processes?

WisdomSeeker

On my laptop (Thinkpad T60P with 2gb of memory), when I tried to move some folders around inside Outlook 2007 I got an error that said there was not enough memory to complete the action (the action was moving a folder with relatively few notes in it)?

So, I looked at running processes and there seemed to be more than I am used to seeing. So, I closed all the active applications and re-checked.

At this point, the application tab shows zero applications running.

But the Processes tab shows 78 running processes and a bunch of these are using 8K or memory.

What are all these things?

My desktop only has 44 running processes at start up and they seem to be taking 3-4K each rather than so many taking 7-8K.

Here is a picture (I do not know how to capture a list of the running processes other than by doing a screen capture).

screenshot001zd2.th.jpg

How can I tell what is really needed and what is garbage? I do have Avast AntiVirus running and have done a scan. Nothing detected.

Ahh, yes. The lovely default process overload of Lenovo's build. Yes you can turn off a lot of that stuff. Get Autoruns - from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx and select those you don't need and either disable them or delete their entries.

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been more precise with my wording. I did realize that I probably could turn off a bunch of stuff. My real issue is I don't know what stuff I need and what stuff I do not need. I already have a tool that shows me what starts when I turn my machine on, but may look at AutoRuns anyway as it does look impressive. However, it still does me no good if I do not know what to turn off and what to allow to keep running.

So, re-worded = What processes do I need to keep running and which processes I can disable. Or how can I tell, what processes need to keep running and which processes I can disable.

Unfortunately that is very reliant on what you do/want. And this is just for starters. I'm sure you have services running that could be turned off also but those run under various svchost proceses.

If it was my machine here is what I would kill:

searchindexer

ccsauth

windowssearch

ituneshelper

rrservice

tvtsched

searchprotocolhost

searchfilterhost

scheduler_proxy

ipodservice

printscreen

rrpservice

tvt_reg_monitor_svc

mdm

mDNSResponder

awaysch

applemobiledeviceservice

msmsgs

Ones I don't recognize that are worth a further look:

ashserv

ashwebsv

ashdisp

odhost

acsvc

ccc

You also appear to have some form of SQL running, if it is not needed turn it off. There are also a number of other thinkpad/lenovo/ibm proccesses running that you will have to look at individually and decide if you want to leave them running.

Unfortunately that is very reliant on what you do/want. And this is just for starters. I'm sure you have services running that could be turned off also but those run under various svchost proceses.

If it was my machine here is what I would kill:

searchindexer

ccsauth

windowssearch

ituneshelper

rrservice

tvtsched

searchprotocolhost

searchfilterhost

scheduler_proxy

ipodservice

printscreen

rrpservice

tvt_reg_monitor_svc

mdm

mDNSResponder

awaysch

applemobiledeviceservice

msmsgs

Ones I don't recognize that are worth a further look:

ashserv

ashwebsv

ashdisp

odhost

acsvc

ccc

You also appear to have some form of SQL running, if it is not needed turn it off. There are also a number of other thinkpad/lenovo/ibm proccesses running that you will have to look at individually and decide if you want to leave them running.

Thanks. This is very helpful.

I think that SQLServer is running because I am using the BusinessContactManager in Outlook 2007 (which is actually the whole reason I am trying to get this laptop working).

On my laptop (Thinkpad T60P with 2gb of memory), when I tried to move some folders around inside Outlook 2007 I got an error that said there was not enough memory to complete the action (the action was moving a folder with relatively few notes in it)?

So, I looked at running processes and there seemed to be more than I am used to seeing. So, I closed all the active applications and re-checked.

But the Processes tab shows 78 running processes and a bunch of these are using 8K or memory.

My desktop only has 44 running processes at start up and they seem to be taking 3-4K each rather than so many taking 7-8K.

Here is a picture (I do not know how to capture a list of the running processes other than by doing a screen capture).

screenshot001zd2.th.jpg

How can I tell what is really needed and what is garbage? I do have Avast AntiVirus running and have done a scan. Nothing detected.

Wow, after seeing that I had to post the processes tab on my computer after startup:

Processes :rolleyes:

screenshot001zd2.th.jpg

Wow, after seeing that I had to post the processes tab on my computer after startup:

Processes :rolleyes:

You are killing me. :)

ccc

You also appear to have some form of SQL running, if it is not needed turn it off.

CCC is the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

MSSQL services are installed via OfficeReady, the way us OEMs pre-install MS Office. Its annoying too, can't even uninstall it properly.