Converting XP Corp install to XP Home OEM

expert01

I've had some customers getting systems serviced come in with a pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate (With an illegal VLK key) installed on the computer. So far, every single customer that has had it installed had a product key on the computer for a copy of XP home OEM! It boggles my mind, thinking why they would do that.

Anyways, I figured Microsoft would make it super easy to go from an illegal installation to a legitimate installation, but I've had no luck. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out! And of course the customer computers are usually heavily infected, making it that much more difficult.

After lots of thinking, I figured the easiest way to do it would be to use a certain tweaking program to make it think it was a home version so I could put in the home product key. However, every time I do that, it tells me that any changes made after that and before it restarts will be ignored. So I restart to put in a key, and it tells me the key doesn't match the OS (before I can even get in to change it), so I have to go back to safe mode.

Problem is that all the utilities that let you change your product key either use msoobe.exe (which doesn't work in safe mode), don't work (in the case of an official MS vbs script), or can't run in safe mode (in the case of microsoft's official product key modifier). I found one which may have worked, but when I clicked the link to change the product key it did nothing.

So. Any easy solution? Maybe a program that does it all? A way to change the product key in safe mode? Maybe make MSOOBE.EXE think that it's in normal mode? I'm out of ideas.

That's not true. I am in the same boat at the moment - only WORSE. The computer has a XP Pro license key on it (yes!), but it has Pro VLM with the god forsaken FCKGW code on it!! I cannot fathom the idiocy...

However, OEM discs will activate just fine with any OEM code. The OEMs originally use BIOS-locked copies of XP, but if you reinstall, the installation will take the OEM code on the case if you have an OEM copy. I don't exactly know how it works, but I know I pull "Pro OEM" off my disc, nLite it, enter the code, activate it, and it's happy as can be.

And yes, I would really love (have loved?) to see Microsoft take some intelligent initiative and actually create a way to switch an illegal version to a legal version, but... *shrug* Dang if I know a way.

computer for a copy of XP home OEM

Thats the rub though. Thats a "generic" OEM key that only matches the proper oem's disk and will only activate with thier disk.

No, it's a standard OEM PID 3 key that will activate any standard OEM disc (that's not customised). And it's not generic, the one on the sticker is an individual key.

And I found the most wonderful thing about the Windows Product Key Update Tool:

this utility (the one from microsoft) doesn't care if you have the VLK version installed and you are trying to use a valid OEM key. I know because I just did it to several machines
The thing is, this tool will switch from corp to OEM to pro version as needed - the problem with other tools is that if you currently have a Corp install, you must use a corp key on it when you change it. This allows you to change what type of install you have without reinstalling, based on the key entered.
The main purpose of this tool is to let people use retail or OEM keys on a VLK ("corporate") edition of XP.

The Windows Product Key Update Tool was designed for exactly these situations. It was recently updated to include Service Pack 3.

If necessary, it can replace the validation and product key handling files (i.e. .dll files) present on the disk with genuine Microsoft versions to enable your genuine OEM key to be accepted. Without this step, pirated (corporate) versions will not accept genuine OEM keys.

I didn't catch from the page, and don't have any examples on hand to test on... but is this capable of taking a computer installed with a phony XP Pro VLM key, strip the Pro features, and give it the legitimate XP Home key that's smacked on the side of the case?

AFAIK, the tool will not let you go from Pro to Home but it will let you go to VLK Pro to OEM/Retail Pro

However, it doesnt always work. occasionally, the tool will tell you that it is "unable" to change the CDkey though it doesnt look like an error -it looks like its able but just unwilling to make the change.

Isn't this matter something that the owners of the systems in question should take care of themselves? If they went trough the trouble of getting pirated license keys, despite already having legal keys, they should take the consequences of their actions. As a PC technician, it is not your job to police what keys or licenses people use. There's BSA for that. As I see it, these people bring in more work to you, which should be a good thing. Suggest a reformat and new installaton with the proper key. And charge for it.

Thats a good theory in practice. but the majority of the work I do i dont charge for (i charge businesses for work done on their terms/schedules, help individuals on my terms/schedule)

if an individual gets taken by a software pirate con artist and they are not license savvy people its hard enough to get them to understand exactly how they have been taken but the instant I try and tell them they need to buy something that they think theyve already paid for, I become the bad guy. If the user has a valid OEM key and the install isnt the same type, its easier to just fix the problem than it is to explain it to a user that could try to turn the problem back on you.

IF they are FCKGW'ed up but dont have a COA, I will usually ask them if they were invoiced for a copy of XP with their machine, if they were, its 1-800-RULEGIT time and that vendor gets reported. if not, then i recommend the 'legit kit' from the WGA site or an OEM license and a reinstall.

Hi,

"but the instant I try and tell them they need to buy something that they think theyve already paid for, I become the bad guy."

If they are not prepared to understand that they have been ripped off with a pirated copy of Windows then leave them to it and they can talk to someone else to get the same answer. Give them the contact number for Microsoft in your area and they can discuss it with them.

The options for anyone who comes to me with a pirated copy of Windows are to are take the PC away or get the OS licence updated by what ever means are needed upto and including a licence purchase.

Any retailers who sell pirated Windows installations in my area on their PC's are reported to Microsoft. Strangely most of them have either moved on or are no longer in business.

Kind Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...
The options for anyone who comes to me with a pirated copy of Windows are to are take the PC away or get the OS licence updated by what ever means are needed upto and including a licence purchase.

I'm sorry, did you say take the PC away? :blink:

Also, bumping this to report my first case of trying to use the product key update tool on a Pro VLK system (that's passed through my "shop" before, started with a phony Pro VLK license), and tried to put the Home OEM key on it with the update tool. No luck. I get "The product key entered is not valid for this system. Please check it for typing errors and try again."

So, no such luck. I really wish it did work though. It theoretically should work, and it would be in MS's best interests to actually make it work properly, but it seems that's not the case. :(