Autologin

diznanl

I'm using Nlite

I want to create the user account JOE to autologon

Should I disable my Administrators account?

How do I configure this so my JOE logon just LOGS ON without any passwords, etc

Edited by diznanl

You only need to set this:

clipboard01gd0.th.gifthpix.gif

(assuming JOE account is already created). If not, click on ADD - it will create "New User" and you rename it to JOE.

Everything else you do (properties of that account, of administrator or any other account) has no influence over AutoLogon.

Just in case, set JOE's "Password Expiration" to 0.

GL

You only need to set this:

clipboard01gd0.th.gifthpix.gif

(assuming JOE account is already created). If not, click on ADD - it will create "New User" and you rename it to JOE.

Everything else you do (properties of that account, of administrator or any other account) has no influence over AutoLogon.

Just in case, set JOE's "Password Expiration" to 0.

GL

I beg your pardon, but if you don't check "blank password", you will be asked for it when you do an unattended installation.

The "password expiration" is already there by default.

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the responses guys...

I created the account

I set it to autologon

Logon Count (0 for ininite) set to 0

I set it to have a blank password

I set it to have a Password Expiration to 0

When I boot, the computer stalls / halts on "Applying Computer Settings" ... I am forced to reboot --- nothing happens!

After reboot, I get the message that "Windows could not log you in" and then it defaults to the simple login prompt to login with Administrator.

After I login as administrator, I go to User Accounts, and there is no sign of JOE.

What is going on?

clipboard01yj8.jpg

* Yes, I changed the name to DAN instead! *

Edited by diznanl

Thanks for the responses guys...

I created the account

I set it to autologon

Logon Count (0 for ininite) set to 0

I set it to have a blank password

I set it to have a Password Expiration to 0

When I boot, the computer stalls / halts on "Applying Computer Settings" ... I am forced to reboot --- nothing happens!

After reboot, I get the message that "Windows could not log you in" and then it defaults to the simple login prompt to login with Administrator.

After I login as administrator, I go to User Accounts, and there is no sign of JOE.

What is going on?

What could have gone wrong:

1. It hanged for some other reason. After restart it found itself in "unfinished" environment (that JOE wasn't created yet is the least of its problems). You need to determine the reason for the hang. Maybe just give it (much) more time?

2. (You didn't reach this part) The first time it asks you for an username, it if you don't enter JOE it will create another account.

3. Your version of XP requires activation and you removed OOBE or set "skip OOBE".

4. Define a password (just in case).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

I beg your pardon, but if you don't check "blank password", you will be asked for it when you do an unattended installation.

I never set "blank password" in nLite, I always define a password (windows has some minor annoyances if you don't set a password - acts strange on network, for example).

I don't touch anything else.

When I do this in nLite, XP doesn't ask me for a password on first (or any other) boot.

Most of the options on this page are windows options, i.e. registry tweaks. What I'm trying to say is, nLite doesn't do any special/complex work, but windows itself is picky if you pick the wrong ones. From my experience, the less you mess with the settings here - the better. Start checking/tweaking things only if it doesn't work.

GL

• 3 months later...

mdyter, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Also, please attach your Last Session_u.ini. This file says at the top not to post it because it contains private data. It does contain private data such as key and passwords, so please mask all private information before you attach it. DO NOT show us your key or other private information. Enjoy, John.