128x128 vista icons

starcraftmaster

They look bad because they are just normal 48x48 icons scaled up. Get an icon authoring tool, create/copy 128x128 icons and apply them. They should work nicely (and, with Revolutions Pack or Uberskin, you might be able to use 32-bit alpha-blended icons as well)

Edited by alexanrs

128x128 icons (vista format) are compressed because they take lots of space. All icons editors that I've used automatically compress them.

This is why you won't be able to see those icons, even when using the Revolution Pack. I don't know if there are programs that'll let you save them uncompressed.

Edited by glocK_94

but when i do the reg thing which is

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

"Shell Icon Size"="32" and change to 128

no icons at all are seen all the icons are gone the ones on the tool bar and the my computer and program icons are gone. all is left is just the writing

Actually it's 72x72 by default, however, you can set it to 96x96 from the Registry Editor, and if you set it to 128x128, it simply won't show icons...

Edited by marxo

128x128 icons (vista format) are compressed because they take lots of space. All icons editors that I've used automatically compress them.

This is why you won't be able to see those icons, even when using the Revolution Pack. I don't know if there are programs that'll let you save them uncompressed.

Axialis Icon Workshop can do that. When you save in the other formats, ensure you uncheck the icon compression. Additionally, if you are including any icon size larger than 64px-128px, you must remove all colour depts lower than 32 bit. That means it will not work with such sizes if you also include 256colour icons and lower.

Just a quick question:

What creepy resolution are you using so 128x128 icons would be displayed at a reasonable size?

Like, some freaky 29" LCD-monitor?

By the way, you could probably "replace" the start menu. I think there are some free utilities arround that mimic Windows XP or Vista Start Menu on Windows 98. This would do the trick...

Edited by alexanrs