L2TP/IPSEC SITE TO SITE VPN Issues

joeyg2391

Hello,

I currently have two vpn servers with Windows 2003 Server R2. One is a VM Machine while the other is a physical server. Each server has one nic configured with a local ip assigned. The main site has port fowarding enabled directed at the vpn server and has local network id of 192.168.1.0. The remote site has port fowarding enabled directed at the remote vpn server and has local network id of 192.68.2.0. All certicates are installed on each machine and the demand dial interface is up and running. From the main site vpn server i can access the remote network resources and vice versa. The problem i have is that these two servers are the only ones that communicate with each other. For example, on one of the main site computers i try to ping the other network and i get no response nor can i access shares. Like i said before, each server has one nic installed and have direct access to their perspective networks. There are no permitter networks on each side. The basic network setup is router with port fowarding of UDP 500 and UDP 4500 ports to the vpn routers. What i want is for every computer on both networks to be able to acess each others resources. I suspect it's because i have one nic installed on each vpn server. Can you guys please help?

Thanks

If you run "route PRINT" from one of the main computers on either network, do you see any route listed to the "other" network? I'm guessing no, but just want to check before going further. Unless you have a router (or configure static routes), none of the machines behind the VPN servers will know magically how to get to the other side. And yes, if you want these VPN servers to also do routing, you should consider a second NIC for each.

i dont see it in the route table. How would i go about getting this to work? Both servers have two nics, just on is disabled. Again, both servers have direct access to their main networks and no permitter involved. If i do activate both nics how would i configure them?

thanks for the help