Account Login Help

jeff0078

Hey,

So tonight I made an unattended XP installation disc and pretty much everything went peachy with the install process when I used it. However, I must have done something that I really didn't want to do. I like being prompted for a password when I log into Windows. Thought it would be an easy fix, but messing around with the options in Control Panel->User Accounts isn't helping things. No matter what, my computer tries to log in with the same username and password automatically. I even set up a new user account and deleted the old one, but that just leaves me with an error prompt when I boot up as it still tries to use the old info (and is obviously denied since an account with the old name no longer exists).

Hopefully someone knows how I can get things back to the way I like them. Seems like it'd be some sort of a registry fix.

Thanks in advance,

jeff

• 3 months later...
Heh, I did some searching in the registry and I found what I wanted. Didn't think I'd be able to figure it out myself, but I did. Sorry for wasting space. :whistle:

you should contribute that information for the benefit of others.

I agree, as i have a similar issue.

My PC always auto logs in as the same user, either the administrator or a user i set up with admin access (if i disabled the administrator user). Other users have no opportunity to login in, unless i log out - then the welcome screen works. During initial boot - neither the welcome screen or using the alternative old style 'control-alt-del' screen makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Edited by Recusant

If you will open a Run dialog (Start>Run) and enter "control userpasswords2" without the quotes, you can setup and remove autologon. If you check the box that says something like 'Users must use password and username...', then the autologon should be deleted. Enjoy, John.

If you will open a Run dialog (Start>Run) and enter "control userpasswords2" without the quotes, you can setup and remove autologon. If you check the box that says something like 'Users must use password and username...', then the autologon should be deleted. Enjoy, John.

Nice. Thanks Johnhc. Does your solution work if i don't want all the users to have a password? I don't want one of the users to have a password.

I've trawled the board and also found this from dll32:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...08&hl=login

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Automatic logon for Windows.
; Replace InsertName value with the Username you want to autologin with.
; Replace InsertPassword value with the password corresponding to the Username specified.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="InsertName"
"DefaultPassword"="InsertPassword"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

I tested this regedit fix and it worked, that is, the PC now prompts for the user selection at the welcome screen (i just replaced the "1" with a "0" - i didn't touch the default name/password).