Important changes regarding hfslip 1.7.8 / 2.0 since August 2008

Tomalak

In TC's absence I'll put on my coding hat when I have free time. In working the issues on by one I have some Qs for clarification. I had to put hfslip aside for a bit so I could be involved with life and my coding skills are a bit rusty. :whistle:

1) The OS check using the workstation service seems to be a one time basis. Personally I find it hard to use a computer with the workstation service disabled (or deleted). HFSLIP has been using the same routine for quite some time to determine the OS. If someone else can think of a workaround, please contribute.

i agree about the WS svc ... what Yzöwl presented here: Feature request: remove need for workstations service, replace OS verification routineis worth considering
I can only do one prob at a time, and I have not much free time these days. Before anyone asks, I can only work updates for hfslip version 1.x.
thanks TP! :D

Ok time for an update...

I tried again integrating SP3 and all post-SP3 hotfixes and updates (IE7, WMP11, DX9 extras, MSI 4.5 and Search 4.0 included) with the latest HFSLIP 2.0 pre-alpha...

Installed flawlessly, checked the installed machine on VirtualBox... Now Windows Installer service shows up correctly!

The problem? I used for testing a Corporate CD of XP SP2... Yeah, let's say it, I originally had a non-original XP :blushing: ... But then I acquired a regular license and then received at home a original "Windows XP Pro Genuine Advantage CD"... I just tried with this CD and it integrated like a charm!

But there's one thing which didn't work (again)... Windows Search 4.0 integration isn't complete. I posted my problem in a new topic not to go OT here.

:hello:

Ok time for an update...

I tried again integrating SP3 and all post-SP3 hotfixes and updates (IE7, WMP11, DX9 extras, MSI 4.5 and Search 4.0 included) with the latest HFSLIP 2.0 pre-alpha...

Installed flawlessly, checked the installed machine on VirtualBox... Now Windows Installer service shows up correctly!

The problem? I used for testing a Corporate CD of XP SP2... Yeah, let's say it, I originally had a non-original XP :blushing: ... But then I acquired a regular license and then received at home a original "Windows XP Pro Genuine Advantage CD"... I just tried with this CD and it integrated like a charm!

But there's one thing which didn't work (again)... Windows Search 4.0 integration isn't complete. I posted my problem in a new topic not to go OT here.

:hello:

Smiley89, Using HFSLIP 2.0 alpha, did you place all the hotfixes in the HF except for the Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288) and Time Zone (KB951072) in the HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder?

EDIT: Also, did you use HFSLIP_POST_getnewfiles_v3.cmd in the HFTOOL folder? If so, did u get the NEWBIN.TXT created? I used it but it didn't create the NEWBIN.TXT.

Thanks

Kenneth

Edited by magic12kenneth

magic12kenneth,

I didn't use HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder, because i prefer using the RunOnce method.

I use RunOnce for: KB956391 (ActiveX KillBits), KB957201 (latest time zone update, found on http://www.thehotfixshare.net), KB940157 (Windows Search 4.0), Silverlight 2.0 and the .NET Frameworks (1.1 SP1 and 3.5 SP1).

For Windows Installer 4.5, I put KB942288 in HF along with the other hotfixes. I had some issues int he past, but now Installer is slipstreamed perfectly! :)

The tool HFSLIP_POST_getnewfiles_v3.cmd is necessary only when using HFSLIP 1.7.x, because in 2.0 the list of slipstreamed files is included in HFSLIP.LOG.

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates:

5) Root Updates have updated once again as of 11/24/2008 to version 19.0.2195.0. Use same URL as above.

12) Malicious Software Removal Tool has been updated 11/11/2008 to version 2.4. Use same URL as above.

There is something wrong in the way HFSLIP 2.0 handles Windows Media Player 11 integration, in particular the "User Mode Driver Framework". This causes issues with some mp3 players (MTP devices) such as my Creative ZEN 4 GB. When I tried installing the driver, Device Manager found the files but came up with an error "The specified service could not be started".

My solution was reinstalling Windows Media Player 11 (wmp11-windowsxp-x86-it-it.exe).

I used the latest HFSLIP 2.0 pre-alpha. I don't know if this happens with 1.7.8 too.

Hope this helps ;)

Edited by Smiley89

@Tomalak - I tried to address the issues on the first post of this thread. It seems that most of the issues were pertaining to hotfix update lists, which was painstakingly compiled. Can you please update and/or close out the action items? Thanks

@Tomalak - I tried to address the issues on the first post of this thread. It seems that most of the issues were pertaining to hotfix update lists, which was painstakingly compiled. Can you please update and/or close out the action items? Thanks

Yes, I've seen it - was quite busy the last days so I had no time yet to update my post. But it's not abandonded - will try this weekend to incorporate all relevant issues from the new threads into it, and at the same time remove everything that is now contained in your update list. Thanks for that, great work!

Tomalak

• 3 months later...

Tomalak - After saying what the deal is with the windows search v4 and where it goes, is this thread still valid enough to be stickied? Is the windows search v4 a critical update?

Tomalak - After saying what the deal is with the windows search v4 and where it goes, is this thread still valid enough to be stickied? Is the windows search v4 a critical update?

Hello tommyp,

Sorry for the late answer! I'm still here but not sure how to proceed with this thread. I'm quite busy lately, so I have no time to thoroughly review it and constantly update my first post. I'm visiting the board from time to time, but there'll be some more weeks until I plan to prepape my next Windows XP installation (giving me the chance to verify what I wrote and to update the instructions).

Seems that TC76 will not return (has anyone heard anything from him?), that hfslip 2.0 (which I used and pinned my hope on) is dead and some useful maintenance of hfslip (hardcoding ActiveX bits etc.) with frequent updates will not continue.

My proposal is to unstick this thread. Whenever I find the time to refresh the content of the initial post so it will be up-to-date and actually a helpful one, we can reverse this and make it sticky again. Any other opinions?

Kind regards,

Tomalak

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm still here. The thread is not yet completely dead (actually I plan to revive it one day), but comatose currently... So please de-stick it for now - it's probably outdated and may confuse others more than necessary. I hadn't time yet to review my initial post, and I will probably not be able to do so within the next few weeks.

Anyway, I plan to continue using Windows XP, and whenever I tackle my next installation, I will bring these information up-to-date. But as I switched to hfslip 2.0 last year (before TC76 disappeared into the void), I have to go back to the supported 1.x versions and see what's supported / already included there and what not. This will be some effort, so please be patient. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Tomalak

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Short update: as it seems that TC76 will apparently never return (any news from him?), meaning hfslip 2.0 is dead, and the update lists are now maintained somewhere else by new owners, I have simply "disabled" all topics in my initial post (without actually removing them, to keep them available for reference later if ever required). Almost everything there is not up-to-date anymore.

Only two of the items are worth further investigation and do also apply to hfslip 1.7.8:

• No. 16 (MSI installer 4.5): This is already mentioned in this post with current issues (item 12) and can be tracked there.
  • No. 10 (possibility to integrate Windows Search 4.0): Not sure how important that is (can be installed after Windows setup if desired, for sure not everyone's taste). Maybe I'll add it as additional request to the above thread so everything can be found in one place again...

Regards,

Tomalak