Universal Extractor Feature Requests

nitro322

Please post any feature requests in this thread. Feature requests can include support for new formats, suggestions on ways to improve UniExtract functionality or the user interface, etc.

Before submitting a feature request, please first search through this subforum, as well as reviewing the UniExtract ChangeLog and ToDo files to see if the feature has already been discussed. There are a number of features that have been brought up in the past, but for various reasons cannot be supported; repeatedly bringing up these same topics without offering any new information or suggestions only wastes time. Please especially check the Features that Cannot Be Supported thread and do not post any requests from that list.

Any general questions, support requests, or other UniExtract discussion should be posted to other topics in this forum.

Edited by nitro322

nitro322, in post #9 from thread http://www.msfn.org/board/Halt-Extract-t121770.html , you recommended I post a feature request to remind you to investigate a workaround to extract encrypted Inno Setup installers.

I believe you had referred to the following thread as having a workaround method:

http://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=9137

The latest 7-zip beta added support for XAR archives and UDF and DMG/HFS images. This sounds like something worth supporting in the next version of UniExtract. :-)

Edit: The latest 7-zip beta also directly supports LZMA files. Have UniExtract use 7-zip to decompress these files rather than the separate lzma.exe binary currently used.

Edited by nitro322

Multiple. File. Support.

and maybe a graphical process bar.

Multiple File Support is the major change coming in 1.7, last I knew, and will require major restructuring of the code. However, I'm confident nitro will figure it out, he always does.

Visible progress bars would be nice, but I think it would be difficult because many of the extraction programs used do not supply much progress information. It could be added to those that do supply progress.

A compromise could be to have the output from the command windows piped directly into a single UniExtract dialog, thus simplifying it to only one visible window with all the relevant extraction information. (I believe this was mentioned somewhere in the UE 1.5 thread.)

Multiple File Support is the major change coming in 1.7, last I knew, and will require major restructuring of the code. However, I'm confident nitro will figure it out, he always does.

Visible progress bars would be nice, but I think it would be difficult because many of the extraction programs used do not supply much progress information. It could be added to those that do supply progress.

A compromise could be to have the output from the command windows piped directly into a single UniExtract dialog, thus simplifying it to only one visible window with all the relevant extraction information. (I believe this was mentioned somewhere in the UE 1.5 thread.)

Wow. You've really been paying attention, haven't you? :-)

foszhila45, mushu13 is correct on both counts. Proper multiple file support has been requested before, and it's something I'd like to add, but it'll require some fairly significant changes. It's on my radar for 1.7. In the meantime, if you're using the installer version with context-menu support, you actually can extract multiple files at once by highlighting more than one, right-clicking, and select Extract to Subdir (or Extract Here). Windows Explorer will spawn multiple independent UniExtract process at this point, and extract all files concurrently. Of course, this approach can have problems, so it's not exactly recommended, but it should generally work fine as long as you don't throw a crazy amount of files at it.

Integrating helper utility output into the main UniExtract window, rather than spawning a separate cmd.exe window, is something that's been on my todo list for a while. However, it'll require much more significant changes than the multiple file support mentioned above, and there are various other challenges to take into account, such as providing input (for passwords, for overwrite confirmations, etc.) as well as output. This is such a major, fundamental change in functionality that it'd come essentially as a 2.0 release. Of course, there's no telling when (or if) that'll happen, but I'm certainly keeping it in mind.

• 1 month later...

Can you add support for NBH files? I know it's an extremely niche request, but there's already a command-line extractor for them, and integrating it into Universal Extractor would be awesome.

If you want some sample NBH files, you can find them in this package: http://member.america.htc.com/download/Rom....21.18_Ship.exe

(I'm linking you to a trusted source -- HTC.com -- so that you don't have to be wary about downloading this).

Download that package and extract it with 7zip (in UniExtract, select "Not an InstallShield Installer"). You will see two NBH files in it.

You can find the command-line NBHExtractor here: http://xpdnc.org/dumpydooby/files/NBHextract.exe

Can you add support for NBH files? I know it's an extremely niche request, but there's already a command-line extractor for them, and integrating it into Universal Extractor would be awesome.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, sample, AND extraction utility. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

hi

please add support for PEiD 0.95 Build Date: Nov 03 2008; Signatures: 672)

if i put in bin directory UniExt will not work

http://peid.has.it/

also inno unpacker have some new version but not on sourceforge, that version will suport Inno Setup 5.2.3

some info and file:

http://bbs.skygz.com/viewthread.php?tid=3&extra=page%3D1

http://it.megocollector.com/?p=686

http://rapidshare.com/files/172705618/inno...2008-12-06_.rar

Edited by voorhees

• 2 weeks later...

Becky! .b64 file extraction.

Becky! email program has this odd method for creating .b64 attachment files. All the files follow this particular convention:

Encoded file is named by adding .b64 to the resultant file name. i.e. Happy_Hallween_Pumkins_&_Butterflys_by_Pac_Creations.gif

Encoded file contains NO headers, only the encoded data.

Universal Extractor works to decode the file, but it creates a folder containing UNKNOWN.001, which I have to manually move and rename the file.

Therefore, Universal Extractor should have a script to check the filename. If the result filename is UNKNOWN.001, and a file extension is detected before the .b64 extension (detects a secondary dot) then it moves out and renames the file to the correct filename.

Attached is the file so you can test it out. It's a nice GIF animation from the Yahoo group "CreativeIncredimailLetters" which has a lot of custom GIF animations for decorating emails with.

Attachment failed. *sigh*

please add support for PEiD 0.95 Build Date: Nov 03 2008; Signatures: 672)

As part of each update, I always check all of the support utilities to make sure I'm using the latest version. I'll certainly do the same for PEiD and innounp. Not sure about what the deal is with the compatibility issues you reported with PEiD, but I'll check it out.

Becky! email program has this odd method for creating .b64 attachment files. All the files follow this particular convention:

Encoded file is named by adding .b64 to the resultant file name. i.e. Happy_Hallween_Pumkins_&_Butterflys_by_Pac_Creations.gif

Encoded file contains NO headers, only the encoded data.

Universal Extractor works to decode the file, but it creates a folder containing UNKNOWN.001, which I have to manually move and rename the file.

Therefore, Universal Extractor should have a script to check the filename. If the result filename is UNKNOWN.001, and a file extension is detected before the .b64 extension (detects a secondary dot) then it moves out and renames the file to the correct filename.

I'm not sure I like the idea of adding a lot of extra work to check for specific output filenames, etc., but I'm curious as to why this is happening to begin with. Maybe there's a better way of extracting these files to begin with. Can you point to any examples?

Can you add support for "winmail.dat" files?

Aren't these just multi-part MIME files? They should be similar to MHT files, which are (mostly) supported. Have you tried extracting one? What happens?