A 32" HDTV at 1920x1080 good for computing?

Thunderbolt 2864

Hey guys,

I'm planning to get a 32" HDTV to replace my current 22" monitor, and the size of the TV really appeals to me and the price range isn't so bad either compared to other LCD TVs. So if you guys have a monitor that big that supports a 1920x1080 resolution, is it worth it?

I would like to get a 30" that supports a 2560x1600 resolution but the problem is its heavily overpriced and I would hate to have lower FPS when I game on that resolution.

So please give my any feedback if you had the experience using a 1920x1080 resolution on a big screen LCD, thanks.

If you want to know, I'm planning to get this LCD TV:

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_And_Home...HD_LCD_TV/25970

Never thought of using an HDTV as a monitor, but I would take the above advice into consideration.

However, if you still insist on HDTV, I would avoid Plasma for picture burn-in risk! Go with LCD.

Edited by spacesurfer

I have many friends with various HDTV, 42"+, lcd and plasms, although you have to be a bit careful with the latter.. they look stunning.!! biggest monitor you are likely to get is around 30" and cost about £600+..

I have apanasonic pz85 (42" PLASMA) for media centre pc, and tv.. ok, you would not want to sit 2 foot away from it all day browsing the web... but gaming and media is great....

The biggest difference in cost between a 30" monitor and a 42" LCD (for instance) is panel quality and pixel pitch. Most larger LCDs will carry a pixel pitch above .3mm, some even as high as .4 or .5mm. Your *average* 30" PC monitor will be under .29mm, some far lower. The smaller the number, the greater the resolution and better the picture.

Sure the 42" will look good from 5ft away or greater (and that may be what you want, so go for it) but unless you get an HDTV with a pixel pitch under .3mm, you will not have as good a picture as you would with a PC LCD (which was meant to be looked at closely, and provide hopefully crisp text and images at closer distances). It's one of the reasons PC monitors can support resolutions higher than 1900x1080 or 1200 (1080i/1080p), like 2560x1600 - it's the pixel pitch (mostly) that allows this, and you won't get something "good" enough with a panel designed for a TV. Which is why a 42" LCD HDTV can retail for ~$1,500USD and a 30" LCD monitor for a PC is $2K or more - it's NOT random ;).