OEM to Volume

I've looked this up so many times, and I've switched my 55274OEM to 55274270 to try and make my windows installation accept my volume license key. This is what I did:

-Used a gateway SP1a OEM disc

-I integrated sp3 into it, and left all the unattended stuff alone. Perfect!

So I burned the disc, and through the setup, it asks for a key... I"ve never EVER had my gateway disc ask for a key. I've tried the key that is built onto the disc (which is a key for gateway computers obviously) and my volume key to no avail. Then, I did some research and figured, I had to copy 8 files from my original SP1(a) disc, including setupp.ini, and replace the files on the new sp3 disc. So I did that. And wa-laa! It worked! So I had to activate windows as needed, nope. Didn't work. It wouldn't accept my volume key on the geniune activation. (It didn't say it was invalid, it just kept pushing me back to where I had to type in my key).

So, I did some more research and of course, found the PID stuff for the setupp.ini. I was told that if I were to switch OEM to 270, it would tell windows that I am using a volume license. Alright, so I did that. I switched the letters to the appropriate number, burned, and gave it a whirl. Now, I was expecting windows to do this during setup, it popped up asking for a key. The key that was displayed already was the builtin gateway one, so I replaced it with my volume license and it didn't work. It said: "The key you entered is invalid."

I don't get this. Is this a bug with service pack 3 integration? Or is this normal and there's a way to get it working properly?