[Advice] Course Questions

Bondi007

Hello,

For a assessment I have been asked to give a customer a number of choices on a certain quote, he owns a company with 3 other people and he has two laptops and a ADSL connection, he wants to access work from home like sage and the standard office apps and have access to all his files..

He would like to keep it to the minimum in cost wise.

I was thinking :

• LogMeIn
  • VNC Can you do that online??
  • Terminal Server.. Just another option. (NOT BUDGET REATED)

He doesn't have a server but was thinking what we would need in terms of software and hardware..

Do you guys have any other options I could tell him and the prices it will cost??

Thank You!!

you would need some kind of VPN connection. If you're going to access something from the outside, you want to make sure only people with the right key gets access to the castle. That might mean investing in a new firewall, or possibly setting up the VPN connection from within Windows Server (I assume you have that setup if you're using sage and you're considering terminal server).

Once they're in, they can use all programs just like if they were sitting at their desk. VNC wouldn't be a neccessity unless there was a need to access the desktop of another computer and remote desktop wasn't an option for some reason.

Less expensive would be to look at LogMeIn (pay) or Hamachi (free). Each creates a VPN that's always on that can be connected to from anywhere once they software is installed.

He doesn't have a server "as of yet" but how would I go about setting up a VPN connection and will it work in conjunction with terminal services?

And how to people access the VPN

Could you help me with a link to a tut or tell me yourself?

• 5 weeks later...

When you say VNC if you mean Tiny VNC then it's really cool! Me and a friend of mine, he lives in Australia and I in the states, use it all the time! ;)

See I sometimes get confused with comp stuff and he's a geek so I just holler HALP! He logs onto to me and fixes whatever little stupid user trick I just did! XD