Connected to network, but no internet

Peffse

Well, a few days ago I booted my old 98SE machine up. I just purchased a KVM switch, so I was going to hook it up and play around. It booted fine, no errors... but couldn't get online. It couldn't see the wireless at all. Figuring I did something stupid long ago, I reinstalled 98SE. After the install, I put in my backup zip disk, install drivers from all the saved driver EXEs, and it can see everything again. I restart a few times after installing video drivers, and it once again can't see the wireless network. I ended up botching the NIC driver install, so I format and start clean again. This time, I install the motherboard INFs first, and only the wireless. Now it can see and connect to the wireless........ but it still cannot access the internet like every other device on the network. I've never had trouble from this computer before.

I upgraded to IE6 SP1, the USB network device has it's drivers installed correctly... yet nothing.

I've used the wireless device on other computers, so I know that's good. I've used this computer countless times, so I suppose it could be hardware failure, but... I feel as though I'm missing something. Is there a setting that I'm just not getting? I customized the 98 install a little, unchecking stuff like Outlook Express and MSN, AT&T and AOL install. So I'm wondering if I removed something needed.

I have a small wireless network on a Linksys WRT54G, unmodded. It's WEP encrypted, not WPA, because of DSes and a Wii. I know my hex key by heart, so I know I'm not getting that wrong. It only has 10 devices on it total.

Any clues?

:whistle: Always check network settings with "ISP" provider?Usually its so simple we all overlook thee obvious reasons!Add new 98SE updates(Auto-Patcher/Dec.2007Final andMDIECU2.3,MDCU3.0.5e,Kex0.2.1a or Kex0.3.5e helps with internet and IE6sp1-problems with connectingOpera9.5 =sings great with Win98SE!)Uberskin8.2.5 skins vista/xp look in 98SE :thumbup

Reformatted again, installed Win98 with all default settings... nothing removed.

...Yet it still won't connnect. This is making me think that either the mobo is finally going, or the adapter is dead (though why would it connect if it was dead?).

What is the IP adress of your win 98 machine?

And which Ip adresses do the other computers have.

use winipcfg to see what ip adress you have under win 98 (do not know if it works under other versions of windows.

Edited by Kwibus

I have all devices that are connected set to static IPs in 192.168.1.0XX (it helps with gaming). The router is set to automatically assign IPs above 192.168.1.100. I did not set the IP on the 98 machine to a static IP... and unfortunately I will not be able to check it either, for I have reformatted it again. This time, just for giggles, I installed ME. Oddly enough, ME is working!

EDIT: I realized my post may not be clear... I now have Windows ME on the computer, and it is able to connect to the network and the internet.

Double EDIT: Oh, I may add... I really don't want to have WinME on the computer. Windows 98 has so many wonderful projects that I just can't pass them up.

Edited by Peffse

Install IE6-SP1, Directory Services (might need a registry fix as I found out recently while installing a 98SE system), Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade for Win98.

I'm not sure about the install order however and this may impact on the final result.

Also try another build of the network card driver, the one you're currently installing may be faulty.

TZ Connection Booster and TCP Optimizer may also help in configuring the internals of the protocol(s).