Create a shortcut to a virtual folder (My Computer)

random0xff

I just learned about virtual folders, and I want to create a shortcut to My Computer from a batch file. I am familiar with shortcut.exe and maybe I can create one with that program, but I don't know what the target would be. It's a virtual folder so it has no path. Maybe using a class id? What notation should I try?

Also, I have a shortcut file (target.lnk) that points to My Computer. Is that reusable across all Windows XP installations? In that case, I might not have to create one, I could just copy the target.lnk file, right?

Many thanks!

I believe shortcut.exe is unable to create system folder shortcut for you as it needs a path.

You can query using shortcut.exe on My Computer.lnk (if you create one on your desktop)

Shortcut.exe /F:"%userProfile%\desktop\My Computer.lnk" /A:Q

Result will not yield any information useful

BTW, My Computer clsid is {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

I also think you can use the target.lnk across XP. It is reusable as it is a valid shortcut created by XP

Just my view through

Thanks for your reply.

I figured it out, to create a valid target.lnk you have to put file:///::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} as the target for shortcut.exe

You can paste that into the start > run window and hit enter and it will open up my computer.

Yay!