Silent install Nero 9

MyStur

• 4 weeks later...

Nero 9 Completely Silent & Unattended - The Easy Way

Step 1. Extract / Stooge / Accquire the install folders (unit_app_#) etc (easiest way is to start the downloaded installer, then open My Computer, navigate to your TEMP folder, open the NERO.TMP folder and you'll see it there, if you don't see the UNIT_APP_## folders, you're in the wrong place, otherwise copy ALL The files and folders you see into another folder

Step 2. Identify and remove any UNIT_APP_## folders you don't need (that's right just delete the folders for the apps you don't use, don't edit them out of the XML or anything)

Step 3. Edit the file SETUP.XML so your product key apppears between <Prop id="SerialNumber"> and </Prop>

Step 4. Write yourself a batch file to run

SETUPX.EXE /qb EULAACCEPTED="1"

This is exactly how I did my completely unattended install. My install folder is now no more than 480Mb (about half the size of the original, and will fit on a CD)

Below is an example of what a trimmed, unattended install folder should look like. The one below installs Nero Burning ROM, Nero Vision, Nero Wave Editor and Nero Cover Designer. Deleting the other folders seems to be OK as the SETUP.XML file is only parsed by the installer and compared to available packages. If they're not there, it just doesn't display them.

Also, in the codebox, you will see the file "Activation.REG". This is nothing more than my product keys which I have exported from the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\NERO\SHARED\NL9). The .REG file is then imported to the registry upon launching the SETUP.BAT file which I mentioned earlier.

Directory of B:\Installation Sources\Nero 9

Activation.reg
ipclog.exe
SETUP.BAT
setup.xml
setupx.exe
<DIR> unit_app_16
<DIR> unit_app_17
<DIR> unit_app_30
<DIR> unit_app_4
<DIR> unit_app_5
<DIR> unit_app_61
<DIR> unit_app_69
<DIR> unit_tpi_directx-9c-redist-d3dx9-30
<DIR> unit_tpi_imagxpress-7.0.74.0
<DIR> unit_tpi_lightscribe-1.14.17.1
<DIR> unit_tpi_msxml-4
<DIR> unit_tpi_vcredist-x86-2005Sp1
<DIR> unit_tpi_windows-installer-3.1

Below is a list of the UNIT_APP_## folders and their relative components as per MY downloaded installer

unit_app_4 Nero Burning ROM
unit_app_5 Cover Designer
unit_app_6 Nero Express
unit_app_10 Photosnap
unit_app_12 Nero Recode
unit_app_13 Showtime
unit_app_14 SoundTrax
unit_app_15 StartSmart
unit_app_16 Nero Vision
unit_app_17 Wave Editor
unit_app_19 Drive Speed
unit_app_20 Infotool
unit_app_21 Rescue Agent
unit_app_50 Disk Copy Gadget
unit_app_57
unit_app_64 Movie Templates
unit_app_71 Nero Live

unit_app_30 [b]is essential, do not delete it[/b] (it might be safer to leave everything else that isn't an identified app package in the install folder, or you might screw things up.

You will also see some UNIT folders with HLP in the folder name, these are no more than Help files and documentation for the apps, delete these as well if you don't need them.

To trim the fat down even more, it appears you can safely remove the other languages from inside each of the UNIT_APP_## folders, i left nothing but ENG files in mine.

Kudos to everyone from this thread, with all your inputs it only took me an hour to sort this out for myself (slow I know) but no one else seemed to be looking at the bigger picture of trimming and admin-installing, but here's the whole hock. Nero 9 with 55% reduced fat!

I used this command to install nero 9

Nero-9.2.6.0.exe /i /q SERIALNUMBER="xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" EULAACCEPTED="1" REMOVEAPP="unit_app_1, unit_app_5, unit_app_10, unit_app_12, unit_app_13, unit_app_14, unit_app_15, unit_app_16, unit_app_17, unit_app_19, unit_app_20, unit_app_21, unit_app_22, unit_app_50, unit_app_57, unit_app_61, unit_app_62, unit_app_63, unit_app_64, unit_app_65, unit_app_66, unit_app_67, unit_app_68, unit_app_69, unit_app_71, unit_app_74, unit_app_75" INCLANGUAGES= "ENG"

This installs only nero burning rom and nero express. The installation finished, and nero burning rom and nero express shortcuts appeared in start programs. None of the 2 programs open though. And nero does not appear in add/remove programs. also the language nero uses is the same as my regional settings. I want it to be english though.

How do I fix this problems?

Thanks

I used this command to install nero 9

Nero-9.2.6.0.exe /i /q SERIALNUMBER="xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" EULAACCEPTED="1" REMOVEAPP="unit_app_1, unit_app_5, unit_app_10, unit_app_12, unit_app_13, unit_app_14, unit_app_15, unit_app_16, unit_app_17, unit_app_19, unit_app_20, unit_app_21, unit_app_22, unit_app_50, unit_app_57, unit_app_61, unit_app_62, unit_app_63, unit_app_64, unit_app_65, unit_app_66, unit_app_67, unit_app_68, unit_app_69, unit_app_71, unit_app_74, unit_app_75" INCLANGUAGES= "ENG"

This installs only nero burning rom and nero express. The installation finished, and nero burning rom and nero express shortcuts appeared in start programs. None of the 2 programs open though. And nero does not appear in add/remove programs. also the language nero uses is the same as my regional settings. I want it to be english though.

How do I fix this problems?

Thanks

Maybe try without the /i and /q commands first to see if the installer you have, has the option to choose the ENG language, or at the very least what language is chosen by "default"

/i command uses default values, which is probably why your regional settings are taking preference language wise (remember the apps are still installed via MSIEXEC.EXE)

Also, your command switches show that your telling it to only include the English language, sounds to me like the installer is using your regional settings as a default value, then your switches are removing everything except english language, perhaps the installer is tripping over and failing to actually install anything?

The installer is probably going thru this:

1. /i switch -> Install Nero with default system language eg.korean

2. INCLANGUAGES="ENG" -> tells the installer to not include anything but an ENG language pack

3. which equals -> Korean install, minus Korean language = faulty app

This would end up making a Nero App folder, which has been told it's Korean, but does not have the Korean language pack, which means the programs will be trying to load a Korean app but failing, as the INCLANGUAGES="ENG" switch has removed the Korean language packs

I'm not sure if this rings true, but in my warped li'l brain it's a possibility

Yes, it's the full installer and it has english included. I have also tried removing the /i switch, but it still installed the language of my OS. In any case, none of the 2 programs open. I'm guessing that I'm exluding something important by using those switches, but I don't know what.

I fixed the problem with the programs not opening. I had to register AdvrCntr4 using regsvr32 /s AdvrCntr4.dll. Now both programs open just fine. When you want to uninstall though, there is nothing in add/remove programs. And the language problem remains. When working on nero everything is greek and I want it to be english.

I fixed the problem with the programs not opening. I had to register AdvrCntr4 using regsvr32 /s AdvrCntr4.dll. Now both programs open just fine. When you want to uninstall though, there is nothing in add/remove programs. And the language problem remains. When working on nero everything is greek and I want it to be english.

Hi,

For the uninstall problem, try to remove the 61, 62 and 63 units from the "removeapp" list (so they will NOT be excluded).

Also, I don't know if the 69 and 75 units can be safely excluded.

For the language problem:

I have a French version of Nero. When I install without the INCLANGUAGES parameter, two languages, French and English are installed.

So you could try without the INCLANGUAGES= parameter, if you want to have Greek and English languages.

After install, open "Nero ControlCenter 4" and change the language from "Greek" to "English".

Edited by Diabolo

ive tried several methods here, one is the extracted, and ones the long params on the main file. well, nothing hapepns, nothing gets installed. i see a msiexec.exe runing in background, but thats there for a long period. no cpu usage.

• 2 weeks later...