DirectX redist fails to install on Windows XP SP3

jdash

I'm installing DirectX 9.0C August 2008 redist on my Windows XP SP3. When the installation is near to the end, the setup fails and says that looking into DirectX.log and DXError.log will show how the error occurs. When I look into the files, I saw the error and the log shows cpp and dll files failed to register. Everytime I install DirectX, this error always occur. What is the problem?

Here are the log files:

DirectX.log

DXError.log

Edited by jdash

It's NOT obvious, because that's NOT the error.

"Unable to load ... xactengine3_0.dll" occurs because of an earlier error.

The actual error is higher up the log file:

RegisterDLL(): LoadLibraryEx() failed, error = 0xc000001d.

error = 0xc000001d means illegal instruction executed.

I don't know why. Incidentally, this particular problem has been posted all over the Internet and nobody has a sensible reply.

Earlier, but it still refers to xactengine3_0.dll (and the actual error is its inf file. OK.). I meant corrupt as in corrupt download, but it probably isn't.

I'm not fluent with inf syntax, but this doesn't seem right to me:

XACT3_0_x86.inf contains

[SourceDisksNames]
99 = %DiskName%,"Mar2008_XACT3_0_x86.cab",0,,-1

While in my full redistributable (or however it's called) downloaded straight from M$, the closest thing to it is Mar2008_XACT_x86.cab, which indeed contains the files referenced in the inf.

So one solution probably would be to rename (or better copy) Mar2008_XACT_x86.cab to Mar2008_XACT3_0_x86.cab in the extracted redist package (which is a single exe, but only a self-extracting archive, so it doesn't matter if extracted or run directly - as far as I remember, it asks you where to extract, and then runs dxsetup.exe).

BTW, I don't encounter this error when installing and all the xact*.* files are installed.

GL

*edit* - I referred to XACT3_0_x86.inf above, but it should be XACT3_0_x86_xp.inf - doesn't matter, the line with DiskName is the same in both

Edited by GrofLuigi

(trying not to make a mess with editing, it's already cluttered, so I continue in another post)

XACT3_0_x86_xp.inf and XACT3_0_x86.inf differ only in few lines where they talk about .cat files - smells of driver signing. So another uneducated guess would be that the setup doesn't properly recognize the OS.

GL