Best place to buy domain name?

I have used Register.com in the past - once you buy the Domain you get access to DNS settings, in there you can target the Domain to name servers or IP Address, but remember it takes 24 hours for any changes you make to this to take effect.

So if you have a habit of changing your IP Address you need to allow 24 hours in change over time ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Most people seem to have missed a critical part of the first post:

And how would I link it to my home server?

Unless you're on a static IP (most ISPs charge extra for that), then using a plain old domain name will mean downtime every time your IP changes (for you to realize it stopped working, then updating it, and changes to propagate).

For those type of scenarios, there's really only 1 solution: DynDNS's custom DNS service (perhaps others have a similar service, I never actually looked). Your DynDNS client app will make it update the IP "instantly" (just like for any usual DynDNS entry), with no downtime.

I never personally bothered, as my up speed sucks way too bad for any practical "server" use (0.9mbit). And to VPN in and such, a plain old DynDNS entry works just as well (no harder to remember than whatever long domain name you can come up with these days -- pretty much anything you can think of is already taken).

Edited by crahak

Most people seem to have missed a critical part of the first post:
And how would I link it to my home server?

Unless you're on a static IP (most ISPs charge extra for that), then using a plain old domain name will mean downtime every time your IP changes (for you to realize it stopped working, then updating it, and changes to propagate).

For those type of scenarios, there's really only 1 solution: DynDNS's custom DNS service (perhaps others have a similar service, I never actually looked). Your DynDNS client app will make it update the IP "instantly" (just like for any usual DynDNS entry), with no downtime.

Namecheap.com supports dynamic IP updating and offers a wide variety of top-level domain registrations.

• 3 weeks later...

one of my clients uses namecheap, but he doesnt really use any of the features for it..

what exactly is dynamic IP updating?

for a domain name to work all you have to do is point it to a nameserver.

that is unless you are setting that domain name up to be a nameserver in itself, in which case all you have to do is change the ip address for it.