problem formatting usb hard disk

loopux

i tried many times to format with "HP format tool" my USB sata disk...

i think an usb disk should work the same as pendrive, shouldn't?

i tried with the embedded version of HP which is in WinSetupFromUSB, (with the selection "fixed") fat 32...it takes ages and then at the end it gives an error...drive too big...

i tried resizing the partition to 6gb with gparted and it's the same...

my pendrive is 8gb and it is formatted very quickly,,,,

what am i doing wrong?

To be more accurate, a USB hard disk generally behaves EXACTLY as a "normal" hard disk.

A pendrive should work the same but it doesn't, thus another utility is needed.

External hard disk are generally seen by windows as "fixed", pendrives usually are set as "removable" and thus they need either an utility like PetoUSB or the "HP" one to allow partitioning or, alternatively, a "filter driver" which is capable of making windows "see" a removable device as fixed and thus allowing the use of the normal disk manager.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Hi guys ! long time , no seek :) .

i also have a USB SATA HDD (a laptop one) which uses a USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge .. yes , the hdd behaves like a normal disk but i used USB Multiboot to make a bootable disk and it doesn't work :( . i mean i select at boot the drive and it stays black with the blinking cursor then it boots normaly to the first HDD . what's wrong ? :| the USB controller resets at boot ?

The blinking cursor is a sign of a "bad" bootsector, usually a geometry problem.

Did you try if the USB hard disk EVER booted?

Why can't you use Disk Manager like everyone?

In any case, FORGET for the moment about the USB install thingy, simply copy to first active partition NTLDR NTDETECT.COM and a BOOT.INI with at least two entries, and see if you can get to the boot.ini choices.

If you cannot, you will need to try repairing the bootsector or try re formatting the drive.

jaclaz