nlite folder problem

floz

ok, im trying to make an nlited version of xp sp3 for my netbook cus they are not that powerful. but everytime i open nlite and click next choose the folder it says please select the folder containing i386 or amd!

i used daemon tools to mount an image i downloaded from ms. then copied the folders across to c:\

(i did have to use the autorun to extract the i386 folder)

any ideas? i am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff but i do know my way round a computer to an average amount

Thanks!

Edited by floz

hey

just a tip, if your as "noob" as you say you are, you should do some reading before attempting to nlite your system (or be very cautious of removing stuff) so u dont disable anything needed by something u do in windows or an application u have.

but to nlite your source, u copy the WHOLE contents of your xp disc to a folder, then point nlite to it, its fairly self explanitory after that

when i say noob, im not too bad, i know my way around etc, like use vm to test etc. i jus mean i dont know all the programming codes that are sometimes reeled off. Anyway i digress.

i did try that, copied all from the mounted image, and it kept saying that i386 or amd64 were not there?

Why dont let nlite do it for you?

Mount your image.

Open nlite

select source (the mounted image)

when you press ok or apply (whetever it says)

It will ask you where you want to copy your source files but if you don't have a specific folder you can browse the dir tree where to create a new folder from the same popup window.

Edited by Maxfutur

i think it might be a problem with the iso im using, and that copying it when mounted isnt getting all the files. does anyone have a link for sp3 that i can download from because i thought i picked the right one?

Edited by floz

floz,

What kind of a CD is it - retail, OEM, recovery, etc? If it is a recovery disk, you may be in trouble. Open the folder in Windows Explorer and take a screen shot and post it here. Can you see an i386 folder? If not, you need to find out why. How did you copy the CD? What you need to do is put the CD in the optical drive, Explore it in Windows Explorer, press ctrl-a (select all), then copy all the files to your HDD folder. Get your SP3 from the MS download site.

Enjoy, John.

floz,

What kind of a CD is it - retail, OEM, recovery, etc? If it is a recovery disk, you may be in trouble. Open the folder in Windows Explorer and take a screen shot and post it here. Can you see an i386 folder? If not, you need to find out why. How did you copy the CD? What you need to do is put the CD in the optical drive, Explore it in Windows Explorer, press ctrl-a (select all), then copy all the files to your HDD folder. Get your SP3 from the MS download site.

Enjoy, John.

thanks for your response, i got the iso image off the windows website. it doesnt have the i386 folder but wen u click on the self extracting cabinet it extracts that. i burnt the cd using nero 7.

post-212393-1222897389_thumb.jpg

floz,

This does not look like a Windows XP Operating System. Is it xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso? If not, give us the exact file name. The file I show is an SP3 file and some more stuff. You must start with a CD with Windows XP on it. Generally you have to purchase these for about $150 if you don't already have one.

Please let us know.

Enjoy, John.

Letme tell (or ask?).

You need a full windows source install (windows cd, you should have it or your system should have a folder called i386, mainly is what yu need) but if you though that downloading Service Pack 3 iso would do it, your wrong, that is only the service pack for offline update or many systems update, doesn't contain what you need.

Don't ask for any here.

If you are looking for warez, youll be banned (i hope is not what you are doing).

But if you want to add Service Pack 3 to the source, maybe you need to select from nlite the exe files.

If i understood the wrong way, i'm sorry...