Dell d630 Audio Problem

smokeytl

Hi,

Im having a sound problem after my laptop crashed one me so I reinstalled XP professional sp2 (only disc i have). I went to dell to download all the drivers but it will not recognize the audio. XP defaults to legacy audio drivers but doesnt work. Dell tells me to download the sigmatel drivers but the laptop doesn't recognize it when it tries to install. I hear beeps but cannot get normal sound out. Im stuck and have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Guest victor2008

I am using Dell Latitude D630. Got it from SNBB when I signed a 30mths contract with them. The problem I faced currently is the "cracking/distorted" sound coming from my lappy. The "cracking" sound appears whenever I started to play mp3 songs. The song which I played are not with heavy bass, but just normal Chinese mandarin pop songs.

Smokey,

Out of curiosity, did you do a fresh install of windows XP? Sounds like you may have the wrong HAL loaded, or if you have the right HAL, you might be missing the update from Microsoft that supports the High Def Audio devices.