How to install IIS AFTER Nlited

adigraham

Hi all,

Having Nlited my machine, I dismissed IIS but i now need it. Any ideas as i can't afford to wipe the machine again as it's at work :(

Thanks

Adi

<< SOLUTION >>

Post IIS Installation for a nlite built win xp machine

1. Start, run, C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF and find the section [Components].

2. Add iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,7

3. From your Windows 2000 CD, copy the files \I386\iis.dl_ and \I386\iis.in_ to a folder on your hard drive e.g c:\temp.

4. Start, run, cmd

5. In the command prompt black window type cd\temp

6. In the command window, decompress the two files with the following commands:

expand iis.dl_ iis2.dll

expand iis.in_ iis2.inf

(You may close the command prompt at this time.)

7. Move the files:

iis2.inf to C:\Windows\INF

iis2.dll to C:\Windows\System32\Setup

8. Open the Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs. From the column of icons on the left, choose Add/Remove Windows

Components. IIS will now be available.

Edited by adigraham

adigraham,

Based on other people with similar problems (left out features), you may have to rebuild. I have always wondered if going to the original CD and seeing if you can install it from there. I have not tried it or heard of anyone else trying. If you load your original CD in your running system, it should auto start and one of the options is 'Install optional Windows components'. Select it and you will get a list including IIS. Try installing it. If it works, it saves you some work, if not, you have lost little.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks, John.

adigraham,

Just for curiosity, I just tried installing IIS from my nLited CD and it worked. Now it shows up in Add/Remove with a check by it. Since I have never used IIS, I don't know for sure whether it works properly or not. I am running XP x64 under VMware Server.

Enjoy, John.

adigraham,

I just checked and I show 'Don't Install' for IIS in Unattended on nLite. I had IIS (unchecked) on the Windows list under Add/Remove in my guest (I'm running as a guest under VMware Server).

What did you mean by host in?

Sorry, yeah i tried that , but it uses the host pcs Windows components list, which of course does not show IIS.

I wonder if we are seeing the difference between 32 and 64 bit OSs?

Enjoy, John.

Oh, well i had the main list of services for instance, DHCP, IIS etc and i unticked it there ...

adigraham,

I just checked and I show 'Don't Install' for IIS in Unattended on nLite. I had IIS (unchecked) on the Windows list under Add/Remove in my guest (I'm running as a guest under VMware Server).

What did you mean by host in?

Sorry, yeah i tried that , but it uses the host pcs Windows components list, which of course does not show IIS.

I wonder if we are seeing the difference between 32 and 64 bit OSs?

Enjoy, John.

• 1 year later...