new fileset

fdv

2 Qs: What about "Send to" ? Is that present in your install?

and: Does your Folder Options window actually have "Folder Options" in its title bar? Mine's empty.

Sorry, i don't have the FDV test-VM anymore, so i don't know, but on my system which is a FDV set7 install, then i don't have the 'Send To' shortcut, or the 'Folder Options' titlebar...

okey-doke, I will get on these issues too.

I for some reason do not have all of these, kinda weird.

Its 1am and I need to go out for something. I have a gas station about 50 seconds from my house but all they have is candy and soda :-P

@os2fan2: Yes. 2ksp5 describes this. Why not use AntiVir? :rolleyes:

@fdv and/or Martin: Is it possible I have a different source? I know I ask a lot but if you can/want to verify:

My i386 on cd is 3994 files, not counting subdirs. For a total of 186MB (195,781,102 bytes).

After slipstreaming SP4 manually it's 4088 files, again not counting subdirs. They are 198MB (208,171,234 bytes).

Of the subdirs I only keep UNIPROC, SYSTEM32 and WINNTUPG. That's 461 files in 33 (sub)dirs. 9.88MB (10.360.977 bytes).

HF dir is as the_guy's list: everything under "Windows" except 908531 and 842773, the two under "IE with fdv's fileset" and the dx9c fix. That makes 62 files, 97.8MB (102,634,632 bytes).

Thank you for your time.

@FDV

Again, many thanks for your efforts, mate!

Btw, i also do not have some of Brabant's issues i.e. i don't have web folders enabled and no "Tip of the day" shortcut...

Again, thanks alot for working on this!

@os2fan2

Yes, when i sometimes use an antivirus app, then i also get warnings about sp5files.zip, but it's nothing to worry about and it's just about the ie dummy file 'iexplore.exe'.

Btw, that is with NOD32 v2.70.39(latest 2.x version)...

(I don't use an AV app normally, since if something should ever go wrong, then i can just re-image my system partition back to a working state again.)

@Brabant

My source is the following MSDN ISO image:

Windows 2000 Professional with SP4 (English)

Date/Time Posted
2003-07-10 22:16:00 (UTC)
File
EN_WIN2000_PRO_SP4.ISO ISO-9660 CD Image
File Size
369 MB
SHA-1 Hash
4a4569b303163a53927109954a9f30e89cfead29

I then delete everything in the root, except the I386 folder and the three tag files(CDROM_IP.5, CDROM_NT.5, and CDROMSP4.TST).

Then i remove the following folders from I386:

WIN9XMIG

WIN9XUPG

WINNTUPG

LANG

I use TC's list with DX9C core and GDI+, and without any other optional updates, and also without the two updates which FDV states not to use i.e. KB842773 and KB908531.

Edited by Martin H

I'm confused by some of the above posts. FDV clearly states why Task Scheduler is removed, yet it seems that some people want to add it back by modifying the INF files that are used.

How is this a bug, and if I'm totally off-base, please tell me then disregard this post.

@Ambassador

If you're reffering to me, then i said:

There's a leftover from the removed task-scheduler: If you go into explorer by hitting 'Win+E' and select 'Control Panel', then right under 'Printers', then there's a folder with an empty name and where the comment states 'Schedules computer tasks to run automatically'...

CU, Martin :)

Well, I'm confused too.

Here are 2 screenshots.

I don't see these problems.

I have 3,841 files but I deleted many.

(This goes WAY off topic, but here is the story about my source: I use HFSLIP. Because I had too many hotfixes and was losing track of what files were in which fixes, I manually slipstreamed 90% of the hotfixes -- I had to, because of the way I work with files, I need to know which files are updated. It got tiring to have to keep 2 full directories just to see what files are new, so I ran HFSLIP, then manually extracted all of the hotfixes (that took a while) and did a comparison to check to see if everything was going in. I determined that HFSLIP does not skip any fixes and slipstreams all of the reg edits in the INF files without skipping any. I also needed to determine which reg edits were redundant (already in HIVE files), which were unnecessary (like the filters added in the post-sp4 rollup) and which were in fact necessary. Once that was done, I added new regedits to my HIVE files or in the case of IE, to IE.INF. Now, going forward, my HF dir contains only:

D:\opsys2000ie5\HF\MDAC253-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe

D:\opsys2000ie5\HF\msxml4-KB927978-enu.msi

D:\opsys2000ie5\HF\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

As we enter 2009, I will be adding hotfixes to HF and not slipstreaming them manually. This way, for my own purposes, I have a fully up to date 2000 source and have been able to verify HFSLIP's ability right along. Because I can verify it, I do not recommend manual slipstreaming except in very unusual cases, like modifying HIVESFT.INF to add current time zone information as found in the file in my fileset.)

I do have a change made to HFSLIP itself: under "FDV CLEANUP UTILITY" I have added a line:

ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPWU.INF HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZ",989,0,"RunDll32.exe %%11%%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %%10%%\inf\ie.inf,FDVPATCH"
ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPWU.INF HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZ",990,0,"RunDll32.exe %%11%%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %%10%%\inf\shell.inf,FDVPATCH"

But this shouldn't affect these things... bottom line: my result should be the same as anyone else's.

post-24731-1226348360_thumb.jpg

post-24731-1226348370_thumb.jpg

Edited by fdv

But I do think it is the hot fixes..... Good. We can narrow it down I hope.

I just did an install with one variable altered (boy am I clever):

I use EN_WIN2000_PRO_SP4.ISO as source exactly as described by Martin.

"My" 62 hot fixes, dx9c cabs and set 8d. Nothing else.

I have the exact same issues as I had before. So no need to list them.

Other source, same fixes -> same issues.

I need a smoke.

Edited by Brabant

Now I'm confused again, but because of something else.

How the Favorites menu, the Quick Launch bar, and the Windows throbber still present? I thought your fileset removed all IE intergration FDV.

dir-source-2k-1.png

In this shot from FDV's website, the Favorites menu is removed.

I am re-testing now with a CLEAN Win2k with SP4 already slipstreamed, and my hotfix folder has only:

D:\2k-trial2\HF\MDAC253-KB927779-x86-ENU.exe

D:\2k-trial2\HF\msxml4-KB927978-enu.msi

D:\2k-trial2\HF\Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.exe (This is the Rollup)

D:\2k-trial2\HF\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

And I am including the DX9 cabs where they belong.

I will post results.

How the Favorites menu, the Quick Launch bar, and the Windows throbber still present? I thought your fileset removed all IE intergration FDV.

Favorites: my fileset removes

History: open SHELL.INF and look for [addreg.optional.1]

Quick launch: this wouldn't exist but my fileset creates it, see AXANT5

The throbber: OS2Fan2 gave me a regedit to suppress it. The problem is that this will make the Standard Buttons and Address Bar hidden in each window. You can turn them back on of course, but it's kind of a pain. I took it out a long while back but I can add it back into a SHELL optional section.

System directory empty: that's on purpose! (Look at an unmodified TXTSETUP, you will see that this is a holdover from Windows NT 3.1! No, Not NT 3.51, it's from 3.1!) I posted this bit of advice in the nLite forum but I don't think they've adopted it as a feature. Only saves a little bit of space anyway, but I put all of my $OEM$ programs in system now instead of system32 so that I can very quickly see what utilities I have without having to search the "jungle" of system32.

Ok, update: on a virgin win2k, running the installer, xml4, mdac, and post sp4 rollup, I get some filecopy errors (using my fileset). They are ALL drivers. Textmode filecopy cannot seem to find pjlmon, rca.sys, svgb.icm, tosdvd.sys, etc so I will figure out what's going on here.

By the way, while I wait, a useful tip.

1. Download FILEMON and put it in SOURCE\$OEM$\$$\system

2. During setup GUI mode, press SHIFT and F10 to get a command prompt

3. Type filemon

4. Filemon will start. You might get an error, ignore it.

5. You can now "record" the Windows setup process. You can also run REGMON too.

6. Before Windows reboots the last time, save the results. I will warn you that with all of that data, saving will take a long time, maybe a minute or two. Don't worry, the program is NOT locked up.

7. Once you save the log file to the desktop, you can reboot.

8. When Windows starts for the first time you'll have a logfile of all of the files Windows used in the setup process.

Ok, "clean" windows sp4 + rollup + fdvfileset is done.

Result: No 'search internet' and no 'task scheduler'.

?!?

Maybe try adding that one line to HFSLIP that I have in a codebox in my earlier post?

Edited by fdv

I'm afraid I have both.

With msxml4-KB927978-enu.msi you mean the exe I take? With an msi inside of it.

I could not run filemon during or after (also from cmd) setup. " 'filemon' is not recognized as...."

Double clicking it I must first "agree" in a window. Could that be it or is that the "You might get an error" bit?

Can an fdv-2000 run hfslip itself? I'm asking because I can't. "Your system does not have makecab" it says.

Running makecab from C root in a cmd also gives "is not recognized".

This, like the filemon thing, indicates pathnames to be incorrect/missing, right? Maybe a cause for more issues.

I think what Ambassador means is to actually remove the whole Favorites menu. I read some guy claimed to have

succeeded with XN Resource Editor.

Edited by Brabant

Odd, I don't have that, but I DO know what caused it, and I have fixed it, and here is a reg file for you to fix yours. (The reg file attached should fix yours, but I am positive that I fixed the problem in the fileset; it was in shell.inf.)

path.reg