memory

jeremy1976

^^LOL :lol:

You tell me which is better... an OS which is running with 3 gigs of ram and not making use of it completely....or an OS which uses the available ram to the fullest so that your most frequently used programs load faster

You tell me which is better... an OS which is running with 3 gigs of ram and not making use of it completely....or an OS which uses the available ram to the fullest so that your most frequently used programs load faster

You're absolutely right...I wish people would catch on to the fact that you buy memory to be USED, not conserved.

Not only that, in general Vista is caching the memory via Superfetch, so that things it sees you do most often are already loaded into RAM so as to make the machine run faster. If you decide to run something that isn't cached already, Vista will clear some of the cache and load whatever of your program the memory manager decides should be in RAM, into RAM. If only I had a dime for every time someone misunderstood Vista RAM usage and Superfetch, I wouldn't be rich but I would have lots of dimes ;).

From TFA:

Many people tend to think of RAM as some sort of resource, and when it starts getting used up, they believe that they have a problem. In reality however, RAM is more like a cache. If your system is only using a small percentage of your cache is a huge waste. Imagine how your processor would work if its L2 cache never used more than 25% of its capacity. L2 cache is a small amount of high-speed memory that allows for high-speed access to the system's most commonly accessed data.

In previous versions of Windows, the Prefetcher wasn’t very aggressive in populating RAM. With Windows Vista however, SuperFetch tries its best to use as much RAM as it can, because if you have it you might as well make use of it.

I tell you which is better..."an OS which uses the available ram to the fullest so that your most frequently used programs load faster" :thumbup

I found disabling superfetch was necessary to stop 5-10 minutes of disk activity upon resume from hibernation, with no apparent negative effects (and sometimes I load 5 large apps at once thru the use of a script).

Vista does use a lot of ram, and that trend should continue with W/7, but I was seeking more speed, and with 2gb of ram, I did find a very noticeable decrease in boot time and increase in speed by using a 3gb partition (on the main disk) for my page file. Still not as snappy as XP on basic tasks (I dual boot), and comparable configuration, or even W/9x in things like navigation and opening folders. But no, i do not want to go back to the latter!

Edited by PeaceByJesus