User Centric!

GIL

I was just about to open Firefox via ObjectDock when I suddenly remember what a drag it would be to reinstall windows and configure everything the way I like. Then, I remembered a quote from Mister Billy the Gate, (I'll paraphrase just to not to open another tab for Wikipedia, thought I love it) He mentioned that Windows 7 will be User Centric, he then elaborated, that users could logon on any computer and via Live services they could have explorer, or notepad I guess, configured just how they like it. When I first read it, I thought it was nice, but a personalized configuration was much more than that. Now I think, why the hell not? Why couldn't a Live service let programs save their name and upgrade link, for future reinstall, and a configuration file that could expand across versions and be saved in those huge hard disks in the sky and every time you go to a friends PC and logon with your Live ID, if he has that program installed, it would assume your configuration with all kind of contentions planned for it. That way not only Internet Explorer will save your favorite links, also Firefox would use that ability via Live.

To me it's clear that they could implement all this.

Would they? Do you think this will be the approach?

When I first wanted to post this, I just didn't want the idea to go to waste, of course I know a lot more than that has got to have crossed their mind.

I think, I hope they really learned with Vista, which when it works like is supposed to I like a whole lot more than XP.

If Windows 7 delivers, I think everybody will put the same face the make when the pizza gets delivered.

Will the pizza still be hot?

if this is true, i could see them implementing this.. but it'd be VERY counter productive to a computers security i bet..

once a hacker has found the flaw (which is basically labeled with a bullseye on it) everyone would be in your pc faster than you can shake a stick

if this is true, i could see them implementing this.. but it'd be VERY counter productive to a computers security i bet..

once a hacker has found the flaw (which is basically labeled with a bullseye on it) everyone would be in your pc faster than you can shake a stick

Huh? I'm confused - what flaw? Just because software uses a network doesn't make it flawed, so I'm confused as to what flaw you speak of.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh? I'm confused - what flaw? Just because software uses a network doesn't make it flawed, so I'm confused as to what flaw you speak of.

I think he means when "a" flaw is found.

Edited by Tripredacus

If its in a cloud/online server then the provider controls your data.

If its in a remastered live CD the user controls the data.

The problem with Windows (unlike Linux) is copyright prevents encouraging users to remaster the CD even if it would be extremely convenient.