Nerwin.net

Nerwin

Well I own http://nerwin.net and its a blog but I hardly views on it. I say I suck at blogging but I am just wondering if anyone has ANY ideas what I could do with the site. Maybe making it a little bit better or something that people could use. I'm not sure at all.

I mean whats the point in paying for this domain if it never gets used or if no one looks at it. So if you have any ideas on what I could do, I appreciate it.

maybe add software updates & news about software & make ita more colorful background?

i use betanews.com when i wanna look @ new stuff tho, i just like the layout of the site :)

or if your not wanting to delv into that, u can personalize the site about yourself, friends & family?

if you have any family functions going on or friends weddings or something maybe make mention of that?

Edited by MCT

Some ideas, but still I don't know. I mean its hard to figure out what to do. I'm at blogging right now and just changed the theme on my wordpress blog and its all messed up.... so thats why its in Maintenance Mode. I mean I would like to still have a blog but have a purpose you know? and still have a personal site do but do something with technology.

Blogging is about you and your experiences. If you write interesting things, people will read it and spread the word.

Also - you shouldn't be blogging for others. I use my blog to write about what happens in my life and what I'm doing - if people want to read they can. If they don't want to read, they don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I currently decided to take it down, I just have a splash page up for right now. I am still going to work on my photography website and my other website and other stuff :P But I just don't quite know what I wanted to do on my website. I mean I would do a forum but isnt there already enough forums on the web? :P So I just don't know what to do.

Maybe its wordpress themes, I just can't find a good decent wordpress theme yet. I just want a really good one, one thats FREE! :P I spent enough money. Anyways I don't know.

So I just kind of want to create a simple personal website. for me and I can share my mods and stuff that I do with Test Drive Unlimited, Kind of like a Gaming clan or something. I like photography but I already own erwin-photography.com and I like to play guitar and other stuff. I mean I would really like to blog, but I think its just the theme that is not letting me :P Its not a good environment to me.

So hopefully someone out there has a good idea, as for now. I'm going to work on my other sites and forget about mine for right now. Unless I find a really good theme.

• 4 weeks later...

Simple, the new harry potter film and High School Musical 3 :o)

I am actually in the progress of building up my own community site - dont worry it has nothing to do with a message board or anything computer/software related ;)

I havent built sites for a few years now forgot how much time scripting involves! Really need to start learning Dreamweaver - notepad means farrrr too much typing! But although i do find it gives you more customisable options

I would recommend stay away from dreamweaver if you really want to build a new site or from any other automated template software of the kind.

Instead of notepad use some other editor like "Notepad plus" in conjunction with "Kompozer" that will surely help you produce code really quick.

Also, there are plenty of good looking HTML templates out there so there is no need to invent one from scratch but you will certainly need to understand exactly how it was created to overcome the troubles of Firefox vs IE vs Opera vs Safari vs Google Chrome, etc, etc.

To test how the site looks, try the XAMPP web server that will turn your machine into a proper host to run HTML, PHP and MySQL.

Learning how to do things by yourself will certainly save a lot of time and worries in the future - trust me.. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of tutorials out there - if you take baby steps and learn your way around PHP and HTML you will definitively get better results, especially if your community starts growing at a good pace and you suddenly need to optimize the code of your site to allow the server to support the overload.

In the end you also get to learn how to become a better web designer even if your site doesn't get popular.

---

I have built and administered a few sites over the years, some of these sites pass over 140.000 unique visitors per month and I keep learning new tricks at each day that surely wouldn't look so well if they were done by dreamweaver or such.

Good luck.

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito

I love Dreamweaver and notepad++ I use dreamweaver for writing most of my stuff if I need to make a quick editing on my website when I am not home, I use notepad++ and Filezilla on my flash drive. :)

Works fine for me!

• 3 weeks later...
I would recommend stay away from dreamweaver if you really want to build a new site or from any other automated template software of the kind.

I have built and administered a few sites over the years, some of these sites pass over 140.000 unique visitors per month and I keep learning new tricks at each day that surely wouldn't look so well if they were done by dreamweaver or such.

honestly that is one of the stupidest things that i have ever heard, you should really clarify what you are talking about.

dreamweaver is one of the most amazing pieces of software that i have ever used.

it increases my productivity drastically.

no, i do not use their templates, but they are not bad. they have proper/valid code.

i would have to say that it is ok to start out with one of their templates but do not use the WYSIWYG because that just messes things up.

without dreamweaver it would be a nightmare to code and manage all of the sites that i do.

the built in FTP feature is one of my favorite features.

not to mention being able to search through all the files in the site and even to a find and replace.

it know so many commands and saves you time from having to type the entire line of code.

in the next couple of weeks i will be getting the CS4 Web Premium suite. i have already demoed Dreamweaver CS4 and it is even better.

honestly that is one of the stupidest things that i have ever heard, you should really clarify what you are talking about.

You're certainly exaggerating otherwise I'd interpret your comment as a plain malicious or perhaps as an ignorant remark from someone who isn't aware that web development starts with simple steps that are taken at first with simple text editor before moving to full featured IDE's.

I think my previous comment was quite clear: I gave a few tips regarding how to set up a web development environment using simple open source tools.

If you have any doubts regarding anything I mentioned before, please google for answers and I will also be available to explain whichever doubts you have but please be a bit more specific than "you should really clarify what you are talking about"

-----

How will dreamweaver help when all you need is a simple site with the least code possible, or how would people without basic html/php/css/javacript skills figure out how to solve the cross-browser woes that differ from IE to other browsers? :blink:

This Dreamweaver compare is almost like saying that GIMP is simply the best image tool possible - but what is the use of a tool to which you don't take full advantage nor understand it's features/disadvantages?

Then you would complain that your site is sluggish to load, you'd be sad if only IE users could view it correctly and that it won't be easy to find a template available on the web that fully matches what you wanted in the first place after hours googling for some kind soul that would make it available for you.

----

without dreamweaver it would be a nightmare to code and manage all of the sites that i do.

It's not a nightmare to manage several sites with other tools, many people have been doing since the beginning of the Internet and everyone has the right to choose their tools.

For instance, I use ssh to remotely connect to the web server and directly edit the pages without need for FTP transfer or any additional steps, this edit process can also be done from any machine without need to install dreamweaver or anything else.

There are plenty of things regarding site administration that go beyond the simple looks and functionality. You also need to take into account the search engine optimization, the site performance, learn how to make pages capable of surviving spam bot slurps, DDoS and all sort of things to which a site is vulnerable once it goes public - does dreamweaver also comes with a plugin for these?

---

You're entitled to your opinion but flaming the perspectives from other members doesn't make your perspective right and almost resembles some school-age reasoning.

:)

im not meaning to flame you at all and i apologize if i came across that way.

it's just that you are making it sound like dreamweaver is bad.

for someone who is just starting to code website then notepad is fine and if the site is only a few pages then that is fine, but when working with large sites with hundreds or thousands of files things can become a real pain.

as you said it is possible to use other tools and people have been doing it since the beginning of time, but dreamweaver is just a much more efficient way of doing so.

so when you ssh into the server, are you editing the files right through the terminal window? i know people that do that and it takes them a hell of a long time to do things.

as far as things you say that dreamweaver does not come with, i dont think i made any point at saying that dreamweaver can build everything you want into a website. you have to do that yourself and i do that myself.

so basically to summarize my point, dreamweaver is a very efficient tool for building websites.

So you're not getting any traffic.

You should ask yourself this:

Why is my blog any different than the legions of other blogs?

What is the purpose/focus of my blog?

What needs to be done to modify the website for its intended purpose?

Oh I get traffic, But not much.. I kind of took a break from my website for a while.. Cause I have no idea.. I just want a personal website. Thats all. But I can't find a theme that I like.

and having a small mointor, its hard to do web dev.. but next week I should be able to buy my 22inch wide screen (yay!)

Oh I get traffic, But not much.. I kind of took a break from my website for a while.. Cause I have no idea.. I just want a personal website. Thats all. But I can't find a theme that I like.

This website is mostly focused towards your stuff. You won't get more traffic until you offer whatever readers you have more.

If you want a website that gets alot of traffic, then make a website designed and tailored for alot of traffic.

As far as a theme, what do you like?

For example, I am currently designing a website with my car & tech designs. I'm converting my sketches in 3D, rendering them and will be putting them up.