"Trial and Error"

HowdyDoody

We all know that this is a "Trial and Error" program. We have to begin with a clean source every time we make a mistake. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know the 'ins and outs', but it seems to me that nLite should copy the files it needs into a different folder, and create the ISO from there, leaving the source intact to be reused many, many times without reloading from the CD. It certainly uses up a lot of time. I think my CD is about worn out.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Arnie

Why don't you store the contents of your original XP disc on the hard disk yourself?

Just copy all files to a directory, or create an ISO image of the CD and use a virtual CD drive.

Works fine for me!

I do have it copied to my hard disk. I was just making a joke about my CD. It still takes a lot of unnecessary time to delete the used files and copy the clean files back to the nLite directory.

I did try VirtualBox, but it is slower than just doing a regular install.

I'm not looking for an alternate way. I'm offering a suggestion.

Thanks,

Arnold

Certainly there is. nLite will only copy the files that it needs. Which, in my case, is about half of them.

Figure it this way:

I delete the files from the folder I have just used. Then copy the unused source to that folder. I don't know about your computer, but my 2ghz takes some time. nLite would copy the files it needs to a different folder and make the ISO. If you remake the installation, then nLite would delete the files in the folder that it made (which are much fewer), and you're ready to go again.

Arnie

Actually what I do is I have a winrar archive with an already pre-cleaned XP set of files in it. (I removed the Lang folder, all update folders and all external folders from the archive and pre-merged the driver cabs)

So all thats really in there is the CD ident files and the bare I386 folder.

When I compressed it I used the "Store" option for the compression ratio so all it does is basically just package the files. (386 megs packed up)

Takes like 30 seconds now to uncompress, on my older machine it took like 1-1.3 minutes to uncompress. MUCH less time then actually copying the files, you just select "Extract here" and wait for a minute.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Nice tip. So just use it on like what RVM Integrator leaves behind?

I'll have to do some experimenting with 7zip to see how well it does on my old hardware.

"MUCH less time then actually copying the files" sounds nice, plus its more protected and no doubt about which one??.

Anyone know of any freeware archivers that can do this?

Actually what I do is I have a winrar archive with an already pre-cleaned XP set of files in it. (I removed the Lang folder, all update folders and all external folders from the archive and pre-merged the driver cabs)

So all thats really in there is the CD ident files and the bare I folder.

When I compressed it I used the "Store" option for the compression ratio so all it does is basically just package the files. (386 megs packed up)

Takes like 30 seconds now to uncompress, on my older machine it took like 1-1.3 minutes to uncompress. MUCH less time then actually copying the files, you just select "Extract here" and wait for a minute.

Are you saying that only the i386 folder is changed by nLite?

No not in all occassions but this link may clarify things up a bit for you.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/57/

Basically what it boils down to is all that crap outside the I386 folder, yeah thats just useless fluff. It's NEVER used unless you have MCE, Tablet edition or manually activate any of the stuff in it...

Saves you a TON of space. Thats what its all about right?

Please ALWAYS remember your CD ident files though (Win51 and so-on, the really tiny ones there is only 3 or 4 of them you have to have) # in an ideal setup.

Win51

Win51**

Win51**.sp3

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I finally go my basic installation to work like I want it. I did find a bug and a couple of things that I don't have the option to leave out.

The bug: nLite doesn't recognize the 800x600 screen resolution. I just changed that once the install was complete.

I tried the stripped down method of the Windows CD that you recommended, but I got errors.

Now I'm trying to install my drivers and programs with WPI (stand alone). I haven't figured that out yet.

Thanks for the help,

Arnie