When did your graphics card die?

prathapml

God forbid that this happen to anyone, but it eventually happens.

With the current controversy about nVidia graphics cards being prone to over-heating and dying, a quick reply poll among us should uncover how far it is true. The story is that laptop graphics chips (GeForce 8400 GS) started dying in large numbers, leading to a recall by OEMs and nVidia footing the bill. At this point, desktop chips based on G84 and G86 cores were found to be at fault as well, but because of generally better ventilation, they haven't quite died out in mass numbers yet. Then claims were made about G92 and G94 cores being at risk too, whether they were fabricated at 65nm or 55nm. The above may be real or just pure media scares. So..... lets find out if the situation is worse today than earlier, and lifespans are decreasing?

In my case, this has been my (personal) video card history:

1998 - Cirrus Logic, generic 512 KB Display Adapter - worked just fine until 2005, and probably would have still been in use if the mobo hadn't died and I did not throw away that dinosaur of a PC

2003 - GeForce 4 MX440 integrated into nForce2 MoBo, still in operation

2005 - GeForce 6100 integrated into nForce4 MoBo, still in operation

2006 - GeForce 7600GS, returned card because of overheating and artifacts in display

2007 - GeForce 7900GS, awesome card still in operation

2008 - GeForce 9800 GTX+ (G92b core, 55nm fab, this is controversial and is supposed to fail soon, as per news reports, but it may not be true)

So what's your graphics card's lifespan and when did it die?

I've only had one card die on me, it was a GeForce 8800 GT back in May, and it was about 3 months old. It started overheating and outputting lines in the display. I replaced it with another 8800 GT, and no problems thus far with the new card.

My one and only card that died on me was an ISA 1MB Tseng Labs SVGA card back in 2000... None of these ever died:

Voodoo Rush PCI 8MB - mother threw it out!

Riva TNT 2 16MB PCI - sold gave pc to a friend

Voodoo 3 PCI 16MB - traded for GeForce 2 MX and $20

Voodoo 5500 AGP 64MB - still working

PNY nVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 AGP 64MB - gave to my dad

Sapphire Radeon 8600XT AGP 256MB - still working

GeForce 2 MX 32MB PCI - still working

I've owned all these cards:

2MB S3 Virge - Got old and I threw it out

Some 32MB card - Worked for a week and it died and fried my entire system - luckily I was able to get a refund at the expense of losing my entire computer but I got a new one afterwards

32MB TNT2 NVIDIA - One day it just died, thought it worked well for like 4 years

128MB ATI 9250 Pro - Sold it

Radeon 9600 Pro - Was defected on arrival though it worked but started playing up, causing my machine to freeze, got it replaced with a 9600 XT which is still in operation

Radeon 9600XT - Still in operation on my first AMD machine

Gigabyte GeForce 6500 128MB - Sold it for a 1650 Pro

Powercolor 1650 Pro 512MB - Dead on arrival, replaced with a 256MB ASUS 1650 Pro Radeon

ASUS Radeon 1650 Pro 256MB - Sold it for a GeForce 8800 GTS

Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB - Current on my second AMD machine

Sapphire Radeon 2GB 4870x2 - Current on my Intel machine

So I owned like 11 cards altogether, I've had 4 that was defected. And I'm not counting integrated onboard video.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 128MB- Purchased 2004, died 2006.... a month after the warranty expired.

Just one day it would not let the computer pass BIOS. Not even so much as a beep code.

Had to replace it with a FX series 5900XT... still sad about that. I have it's corpse still, hoping someday I can revive it with a ROM flash or something.

I still use the 5900XT too...... sheesh, I need a new PC.