RDP Not working

iamspammer

Hi:

I have a strange problem. I am trying to enable RDP so I can access my system over internet and through my internal network. I am using Linksys WRT54GL router with Tomato 1.21 firmware.

I have enabled "Allows users to connect remotely to this computer" through My Computer and has made an exception in Windows Firewall.

But I still cannot access it. I checked it with Firewall log file (and wireshark) and I can see a request coming in on port 3389 but nothing happens. It doesn't even ask for password.

When I try to access other PCs on my network (even from this computer), I can use it without any problems. So, it can't be my router.

I am not sure what is the real problem. Please help

Thanks

For now, I am trying to RDP to my computer from another computer in the SAME network. One of my machines is in the basement and rather than go there to do small things , I want to be able to RDP to that machine from my laptop.

I have one other machine. I can RDP to that machine without any problems (internally; haven't set NAT rules yet but for that I am thinking VPN).

I have even tried to turn off the firewall but I still can't RDP to that machine.

So, I have following machines

PC1 - Can RDP to PC1 and Laptop

PC2 - Can RDP to Laptop but NOT to PC1

Laptop - Can RDP to PC2 but NOT to PC1

I have tried dignosing the problem with Wireshark. I can see that other machines talk to PC1. Connection is established but then it drops it. I am not sure why it does that.

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Remote [tab]:

Remote Desktop: Allow users to connect remotely to this computer. Check ON.

You might need to select which users can connect.

Just to be on the safe side go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions [tab]

and verify that Remote Desktop has a checkmark before it.

There recently has been a known issue caused by a certain Windows update that can make RDP stop working. If this is the case, there should be a bunch of Errors in the Event Viewer relating to a DLL and/or RDP about the time you are attempting to connect. Also, these might not be flagged as errors, perhaps warning or information.

The update at fault is .Net Framework 3 series. I had this issue last week and uninstalling it fixed the problem. I can't find the article on it right now, but try uninstall .net Framework 3 if you have it.

Our redist was put on by Windows Update.

There recently has been a known issue caused by a certain Windows update that can make RDP stop working. If this is the case, there should be a bunch of Errors in the Event Viewer relating to a DLL and/or RDP about the time you are attempting to connect. Also, these might not be flagged as errors, perhaps warning or information.

The update at fault is .Net Framework 3 series. I had this issue last week and uninstalling it fixed the problem. I can't find the article on it right now, but try uninstall .net Framework 3 if you have it.

Our redist was put on by Windows Update.

Thanks

I checked that error and then searched from there. I had a suspicion that it was not .Net framework. I found the solution at following link. It appears that it's a problem with nVidia Drivers. You have to bump up the memory for it to work.

I tried the solution in the following link and it worked for me. Remember to restart your machine after this. I have tested and am posting through RDP (for test) :)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...sktop&st=60

Thanks again. Your solution helped me along.

Edited by iamspammer

I had a problem with v177 of the nVidia drivers that would make it such that when I connected using Remote Desktop, it would start connecting and disconnect right away. *shakes fists*

So, did you use the above fix? or did you have another solution?

I just want to know in case you had another solution. It might come in handy later on.