Bad idea to integrate mobo drivers with nLite?

betamax

So a while back I made my own nLited XP install CD with various drivers preinstalled. Some of the drivers included sound, display, ethernet, chipset, IDE, etc.

Fast Forward a year later when I tried to update my nForce drivers (ethernet, chipset, IDE combined). The first thing I have to do here is uninstall my old drivers. I have no choice in the matter, because the installer will remove the old ones automatically if I don't do it manually.

However, after I uninstall my old mobo drivers and restart, windows never boots back up. I make it as far as the Windows XP loading screen and then I get nothing but a dark screen afterwards (instead of seeing my login prompt).

Was it a bad idea to preinstall my mobo drivers? Are the default Windows drivers removed from the CD by nLite?

I'm pretty sure if I never nLited my mobo drivers and installed windows with the original cd, my computer would boot up fine w/o them. So why can't I uninstall the preinstalled ones?

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an ASUS P5N32-E SLI. It has the 680i chipset by nvidia. The drivers are the nForce drivers that you can download from their site. Last time I checked you didn't need these drivers to get into windows; they only help improve performance once installed.

Are there certain drivers to avoid being preinstalled with nLite?

I had the same board(just upraded 3 days ago) , but i didnt have the same issue as you. I was able to get on the drivers on ASUS installALL to my nLite bootable cd, and install them with no problem. However i had many other issues, mostly with the MOBO itself, which is why i bought a new one. For one, with the ethernet drivers and even with NAM installed i couldnt get the internet to work. This, however, is a problem i am still having with my new board. sorry to spam your thread with my own issues. Just as a recommendation, try updating the bios to the newest version, the bios has a built in utillity <ez flash 2 utillity>. Download latest bios from ASUS website, save to flash drive, floppy or whatever and run the flash utillity. This did solve a few of my problems.

I didn't have trouble installing the drivers onto my cd. The problem is that I want to now uninstall these drivers so that I can install the newer ones that have been released since I made my cd. When I run the installer for my mobo drivers and reboot, my computer turns into a brick.

I am not getting my mobo drivers from ASUS. Instead I am going directly to the source-- nVidia. I downloaded the latest 15.23 nForce drivers. When I went to uninstall my old drivers (that I preinstalled onto my CD with nLite), computer would not reboot.

Has anyone tried uninstalling their mobo drivers that were nLited onto the windows install CD?

How about display drivers? I can't even uninstall those. I nLited those onto my install Cd as well. As soon as I reboot my machine after uninstalling, Windows installs the drivers right back on there. I have no option to cancel or anything. Even if I reboot in safe mode after uninstalling, it just come up with a message saying new hardware was found and drivers have been installed. Press Yes to restart.

I swear this nLite tool seems like more trouble than it's worth at times :-/

i know what your saying.. been there before.. but i never had any trouble just installing the new ones over the old ones

i got a ati board also and i never have any problems doing it either .. and i play onlines all the time

but you might have to delete the nldrv folder in your windows folder.. to get rid of them for good.. thats where windows looks for the drivers in a nlite install

Has anyone tried uninstalling their mobo drivers that were nLited onto the windows install CD?

I've done so (with success) very recently for on-board audio and network drivers (and video drivers for a PCI express card).

In fact, I even removed all remaining driver leftovers after uninstall by running Driver Cleaner/Sweeper (and removing all related oem*.inf files in WINDOWS/inf) before I re-installed any drivers.

I am not getting my mobo drivers from ASUS. Instead I am going directly to the source-- nVidia. I downloaded the latest 15.23 nForce drivers. When I went to uninstall my old drivers (that I preinstalled onto my CD with nLite), computer would not reboot.

what happens when you install the drivers, without uninstalling the old ones. does it not just overwrite the older drivers?

i know what your saying.. been there before.. but i never had any trouble just installing the new ones over the old ones

i got a ati board also and i never have any problems doing it either .. and i play onlines all the time

but you might have to delete the nldrv folder in your windows folder.. to get rid of them for good.. thats where windows looks for the drivers in a nlite install

Ah hah! So that's where those f***ers are hiding!

what happens when you install the drivers, without uninstalling the old ones. does it not just overwrite the older drivers?

the installer for the new drivers detects the old drivers, then uninstalls them first, with a message saying that Setup will resume installing the new drivers as soon as I reboot

Does anyone here own a P5N32-E motherboard and know how to manually overwrite the old nForce drivers with the new ones?

Edited by betamax

the installer for the new drivers detects the old drivers, then uninstalls them first, with a message saying that Setup will resume installing the new drivers as soon as I reboot

I'm actually having this exact same problem with my ASUS M2N32 board (nForce5). However, I didn't install the drivers by integrating them with nLite; they were installed posthumously using the mobo driver CD. Still trying to figure out what the solution is...

I had this problem too with some other (add-on) devices in my PC and solved it by removing (only!) the oem*.inf files in c:\windows\inf that were pointing to old(er) drivers for this hardware.

I'm not sure this is safe with motherboard drivers though...

Edited by XIII