KB953838

Kiki Burgh

I cannot get rid of KB953838. No matter what I have tried (reinstalling IE7, uninstalling all IE7 updates). Any ideas?

EDIT: KB953838 has been superceded by KB956390 now. Same issue, though.

Edited by eL_PuSHeR

... people who "integrate" IE7 into an install via nLite run into the problem ...

I would include HFSLIP as well as nLite, especially if the option to remove Security Catalog (.CAT) files is used. At least one person in this topic is using HFSLIP.

If anyone really wants to know how to fix this, you must first carry out the steps outlined by cluberti.

This includes manually checking the files present. Have you checked your system32 and dllcache folders against the following list?

Advpack.dll, Dxtmsft.dll, Dxtrans.dll, Extmgr.dll, Icardie.dll, Ie4uinit.exe,  Ieakeng.dll, Ieaksie.dll, Ieakui.dll, Ieapfltr.dat, Ieapfltr.dll, Iedkcs32.dll, Ieframe.dll, Ieframe.dll.mui, Iernonce.dll, Iertutil.dll, Ieudinit.exe, Iexplore.exe, Inetcpl.cpl, Jsproxy.dll, Msfeeds.dll, Msfeedsbs.dll, Mshtml.dll, Mshtmled.dll, Msrating.dll, Mstime.dll, Occache.dll, Pngfilt.dll, Url.dll, Urlmon.dll, Webcheck.dll, Wininet.dll

Have you also made the registry change to enable verbose logging?

Have you made a copy of WindowsUpdate.log available?

There is no point in speculating about the cause, if none of these steps are carried out.