850MB ISO SUCCESS on 700MHz Celeron

im_to_hyper

Hey guys!

After reading this forum for help, I finally decided to delve into making a nice, small ISO to install on "lower-end sytems". I have a computer with the following specs:

Celeron 700MHz (1.4)

512MB RAM (1.5)

10GB HD (5.3)

128MB nVidia Geforce FX5200 (2.9 Aero 2.4 Gaming)

The install took about 4GB of space on the HD... plenty more space for other stuff, still! Whoo hoo! The computer actually runs really decently well... I was browsing on Firefox while installing updates and chatting on AIM. Seems to hold up for basic tasks when the install is nice and stripped down.

Aero works just fine on it, after forcing it to work in the registry... no crashes or anything.

If a Celeron 700MHz gets a 1.4..... what would a 1.0 be?! The processor specs: 700MHz/300MHzFSB/128kb L2 cache

Glad to know your happy with your overall experience with your stripped down vista. But if it was me with these specs, i wouldn't even bother stripping down a vista to run on these specs, specially with 512 ram and a 700mhz CELERON cpu!

Edited by shahed26

Hmm interesting. The computer is actually useable... of course with Firefox running, 82% of the RAM is being used, but it works. The processor isn't even maxed out all the time, in watching the little gadget, with full Aero effects, idling is at about 15% useage, will will spike with windows opening and stuff.

The guy I sold it to loves it, he said its way better than the Windows 98 computer he has now, so this to him was a very worthwhile upgrade! :-) That's who this sort of thing is designed for, an old person who wants the games and the "pretties", but not paying the pretty penny, and who just needs to go online with dial-up to check email once in a great while. It'll probably last him years.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys!

After reading this forum for help, I finally decided to delve into making a nice, small ISO to install on "lower-end sytems". I have a computer with the following specs:

Celeron 700MHz (1.4)

512MB RAM (1.5)

10GB HD (5.3)

128MB nVidia Geforce FX5200 (2.9 Aero 2.4 Gaming)

The install took about 4GB of space on the HD... plenty more space for other stuff, still! Whoo hoo! The computer actually runs really decently well... I was browsing on Firefox while installing updates and chatting on AIM. Seems to hold up for basic tasks when the install is nice and stripped down.

Aero works just fine on it, after forcing it to work in the registry... no crashes or anything.

If a Celeron 700MHz gets a 1.4..... what would a 1.0 be?! The processor specs: 700MHz/300MHzFSB/128kb L2 cache

Want to share your knolege go here... and help out... http://www.msfn.org/board/Absolute-Bare-Bo...ta-t124301.html