IS This PC Ok To Run Vista?

adrian2055

Hey guys :hello: ,

I'm considering buying a new pc next week and I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883104035

I like this desktop because of it's size since I'm limited on space, but I have a few questions that I need answered before I pay for one of these and I was hoping you guys could help me out (Sorry if the questions are stupid).

1. This desktop has a 64-bit processor. I don't know anything about 64-bit computers. Can I use the software that I have for my 32-bit pc or do I have to re-buy all my programs for 64-bit :realmad: ?

2. I see that it come with linux. Will these run windows? I would like to run vista home basic or vista home premium with the aero theme (after upgrades of course), but If I can't run vista I would at least like to run xp pro.

3. I want to put my internal dvd burner in this desktop. Is that possible?

4. Is it worth it? I would mainly use this pc for fun, but I will use it for work as well.

Edited by adrian2055

I wouldn't run anything on a celeron processor. That is my opinion though. And to be honest... nothing is good for vista. Windows XP is a far superior OS. If you do decide to use vista make sure you have at least 2gb of ram for best results.

I wouldn't run anything on a celeron processor. That is my opinion though. And to be honest... nothing is good for vista. Windows XP is a far superior OS. If you do decide to use vista make sure you have at least 2gb of ram for best results.

I'm not fond on celeron processors either. I would prefer an Pentium processor (may put one in). I was hoping that It would be functional for vista, but I'm learning the hard way that nothing is working properly with vista unless I vlite It and remove nearly everything from it. I can deal with xp.

The specs of that system are very low by today's standards. It would struggle running Vista almost certainly and I do not recommend purchasing it.

I'll answer the other questions just to curve your curiosity:

1. This desktop has a 64-bit processor. I don't know anything about 64-bit computers. Can I use the software that I have for my 32-bit pc or do I have to re-buy all my programs for 64-bit realmad.gif ?

64bit (or x64) systems can run 32bit (or x86) applications, although there are bugs. There is very little software made for 64bit architectures at the moment, but that will change. I do recommend purchasing a 64bit system if you're in the market, they will overtake 32bit in the next year or so.

2. I see that it come with linux. Will these run windows? I would like to run vista home basic or vista home premium with the aero theme (after upgrades of course), but If I can't run vista I would at least like to run xp pro.

This system won't run Vista (or at least usably.) It would run XP Professional on the other hand, but even then a lot of your applications are going to be sluggish.

No, there is no expansion bay on this model.

4. Is it worth it? I would mainly use this pc for fun, but I will use it for work as well.

Not in my opinion, there are some good deals out there, but this isn't one of them. If you wouldn't mind posting your price range I can help you in your search.

Edited by James Hamilton

The specs of that system are very low by today's standards. It would struggle running Vista almost certainly and I do not recommend purchasing it.

1. This desktop has a 64-bit processor. I don't know anything about 64-bit computers. Can I use the software that I have for my 32-bit pc or do I have to re-buy all my programs for 64-bit realmad.gif ?

64bit (or x64) systems can run 32bit (or x86) applications, although there are bugs. There is very little software made for 64bit architectures at the moment, but that will change. I do recommend purchasing a 64bit system if you're in the market, they will overtake 32bit in the next year or so.

This system won't run Vista (or at least usably.) It would run XP Professional on the other hand, but even then a lot of your applications are going to be sluggish.

Not in my opinion, there are some good deals out there, but this isn't one of them. If you wouldn't mind posting your price range I can help you in your search.

Thanks. Sadly I'm on a tight budget so these were pretty much in my price range. I could go up to $300, but that's the most I can spend right now. Now I found one on another site that has these standards:

Shuttle Desktop PC AMD X2 4400 2.2 GHz Dual Core

1GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

160GB WestDigital Hard Drive

Hardware Info:

Processor: AMD X2 Dual core processor 4400+, 2.2GHz 1MB Cache2

160 GB WestDigital SATA

1 GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

Video Card: ATI X800XT Plantinum Edition

DVDRW CDRW

Software Info:

Loaded OS: Windows XP

Would this one be better?

Thanks. Sadly I'm on a tight budget so these were pretty much in my price range. I could go up to $300, but that's the most I can spend right now. Now I found one on another site that has these standards:

1GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

Hardware Info:

160 GB WestDigital SATA

1 GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

DVDRW CDRW

Software Info:

Worlds better, that machine would run Vista and decently at that (although you may look at adding some RAM.)

1GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

Hardware Info:

160 GB WestDigital SATA

1 GB OCZ DDR400 RAM

DVDRW CDRW

Software Info:

Sounds a similar spec to the pc i am running at the moment but with a little bit less memory and an ATI Card instead of my trusty NVIDIA card so this would run vista ok with more memory :thumbup