[Resolved] Enabling Hibernation

Ascii2

I seek a way to enable hibernation functionality ("Hibernate") for Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 without selection the option via the GUI provided by Windows (I am using an unattended installation of Windows).

The method supported by Microsoft Corporation is detailed in Knowledge Base article:

How to manually enable the Hibernate feature during an unattended installation of Windows 2000

The method described does not seem to be reasonable. Computers with 4096 MB of memory, would also have a 4096 MB hiberfil.sys file. Way too much to fit a a disc. Also, I am uncertain whether the Heuristics value applies to hibernation for all computers running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4.

Does an easier method exist to enable Hibernation?

Edited by Ascii2

I seek a way to enable hibernation functionality ("Hibernate") for Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 without selection the option via the GUI provided by Windows (I am using an unattended installation of Windows).

The method supported by Microsoft Corporation is detailed in Knowledge Base article:

How to manually enable the Hibernate feature during an unattended installation of Windows 2000

The method described does not seem to be reasonable. Computers with 4096 MB of memory, would also have a 4096 MB hiberfil.sys file. Way too much to fit a a disc. Also, I am uncertain whether the Heuristics value applies to hibernation for all computers running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4.

Does an easier method exist to enable Hibernation?

It works...... But you have to format the installation drive in NTFS. FAT or FAT32 doesn't support large files bigger than 4GB.

Perhaps what I wanted was not well understood.

I want to enable hibernation for Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 without having to maintaining copies of hiberfil.sys files. It would good if the hiberfil.sys file may be created without having to store a copy on the installation media(s) in its entirety.

It appears that two powercfg.exe utilities exist for the 32-bit Windows Server 2003 family operating systems: powercfg.exe from Windows Server 2003 (Gold or RTM) and powercfg.exe from Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2.

Which Windows Server 2003 powercfg.exe should be used with Windows 2000?

Also, which powercfg.exe utility is compatible with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 (x86)?

EDIT: I would speculate that the powercfg.exe utility included with the Gold Windows Server 2003 can configure power settings for Windows 2000 (except Terminal Services), gold or with any Service Pack, and Windows XP, Gold or with Service Pack 1 (maybe also later versions). It may be that Microsoft Corporation made newer powercfg.exe utilities incompatible with older operating systems.

EDIT2: I verified that powercfg.exe for the Gold Windows Server 2003 works on Windows 2000.

Edited by Ascii2