Installing Office from WPI

What version of Office?

Read and follow this

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/50/

Then in WPI for the application assuming you have it in WPI\Install folder you will need the following in the config of WPI

"%wpipath%\Install\xxxxx\PRO11.MSI" TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

where xxxxx is the name of the folder containing all your files.

Hope this helps

Stoner81

I appreciate the cut of your jib and your code does work as does mine, The problem lies in an application installer error that multiple instances of office tricks WPI into thinking that a restart is needed where one is not.

Flying Scot,

Did you try the new version I sent an email about? Been working with midiboy for a while now. I have the rb_config.js error fixed, but still getting the false restart (not reboot) problem.

The email must have filtered into my spam mail! i have not downloaded any new betas since i done the testing for you If its still on the link you PM'd me then i will download the new beta!!!

Flying Scot,

Did you try the new version I sent an email about? Been working with midiboy for a while now. I have the rb_config.js error fixed, but still getting the false restart (not reboot) problem.

The email must have filtered into my spam mail! i have not downloaded any new betas since i done the testing for you If its still on the link you PM'd me then i will download the new beta!!!

Im using the latest full version of WPI (not a beta) and had no problems with the above m8y :( the code i gave you was to only install office tho m8 not the other stuff as well so not sure what to suggest to you im afraid :(

Stoner81

This has me confused: midiboy sent me his install scripts and settings file, I tried it, worked fine. I used my files, worked fine. Kels and he still have issues. Kels thinks it's an Outlook update, but midiboy is not installing any updates. Errors on XP and Vista. midiboy gets and "iilegal character" error message on his German Windows, but Kels does not on his English Windows. But still has problems.

I am still working on it, but running out of ideas. But this issue did bring some major updates and code fixes to the installer that would have gone unnoticed for a while.

This has me confused: midiboy sent me his install scripts and settings file, I tried it, worked fine. I used my files, worked fine. Kels and he still have issues. Kels thinks it's an Outlook update, but midiboy is not installing any updates. Errors on XP and Vista. midiboy gets and "iilegal character" error message on his German Windows, but Kels does not on his English Windows. But still has problems.

I am still working on it, but running out of ideas. But this issue did bring some major updates and code fixes to the installer that would have gone unnoticed for a while.

Yeah i dont get this either.

Could it be that he is trying to install ALL aspects in one go rather than seperatly?

The bit i posted works like a charm for me but i was/am only using Office (have it installed) so maybe he needs to create a seperate installer (unattended.MST file) for each application he wants?

Other than that im kinda out of ideas and im not even sure if this is problem :(

Stoner81

Hi guys,

the problem seems to be as follows (from my point of view):

I used to have the problem when installing Office 2007 alone. Back then, the updates folder was filled with all SP1 updates + all the Office Updates that were release since.

Since back then the idea was that one of the Office Updates was the cause of the problem, I removed all updates from that Updates folder and voila, Office 2007 installed fine in WPI since.

However, that is no reason to rejoice because now, everytime I install any kind of Microsoft application in addition to Office (Office first, then for instance Visio or the LiveMeeting client or Project 2007 etc.), WPI will always crash during the last phases of that second Microsoft application.

The problem seems to be unrelated to OS version (tried with Vista and XP), and it happens during an unattended install and during a manual install when the desktop is loaded.

Since I am always getting a "illegal character" (translated from German) error message, I am wondering if this is something to do with language versions or codetables etc.

Also, I am wondering ... I am getting this "Do you want to debug" "Yes/no script error message". If I click YES, nothing happens. Would it make sense to install a debug application before installing Office and then debugging when the error happens ? What application would I have to install in order to do that ? (I am no programmer so I have no idea, sorry)

Bye,

Alex

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

Turning Script debugging ON in IE 7 solves the problem ! :thumbup

I need to do some more tests, so far I only tried it on WinXP:

I did this in IE7 according to the link, mritter posted:

Tools->Internet Options…->Advanced->Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)

Tools->Internet Options…->Advanced->Disable Script Debugging (Other)

Then, I started WPI and installed Office 2007 and Livemeeting. This has crashed all the time in the past. Now, suddenly it worked fine.

Fortunately, I had made a snapshot of the virtual machine before doing the above so I reverted the machine to the snapshot, turned script debugging OFF again and started WPI again. This time it crashed again.

So obviously, turning script debugging ON will cure the problem. This is with the WPI 7.2 beta, don´t know about earlier versions.

I will now test this with Vista as well. Also I will try to find out the regkeys that those two settings change so we can turn script debugging on before WPI starts and turn it off again when WPI is finished.

edit: here´s the reg key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Disable Script Debugger"="no"
"DisableScriptDebuggerIE"="no"

Can you guys confirm my findings ?

Bye,

Alex

PS: If this is really it, I am more than happy ! :hello:

Edited by midiboy

You gotta be kidding me!!!!! How can something so unrelated affect WPI? I knew it wasn't the WPI code!

I will try it myself tonight to verify it. If so, I will check/set the reg keys like you said.

Hi mark,

yeah, totally strange but I am sooo glad I found this by accident!

I have just compiled my new unattended Vista x64 DVD where I will test this with the following changes:

To start WPI I have added this code to the script that starts WPI:

REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /V "Disable Script Debugger" /T "REG_SZ" /D "no" /F
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /V "DisableScriptDebuggerIE" /T "REG_SZ" /D "no" /F

Then, WPI is starting using the line:

start "" /wait "%windir%\system32\mshta.exe" "%WPIfolderDVD%\WPI.hta"

And then, when WPI exits, I have this code in the script:

REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /V "Disable Script Debugger" /T "REG_SZ" /D "yes" /F
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /V "DisableScriptDebuggerIE" /T "REG_SZ" /D "yes" /F
exit

I will keep you updated if this works in Vista and during an unattended installation as well. I have tested XP again before and it worked even on the second time but I did not test it during an unattended installation yet so the next few hours will show if this is really the solution to that old problem :rolleyes:

Till then,

:hello:

Alex

Guys,

this really works ! Unbelievable !

I just installed Office 2007, Visio 2007, Project 2007, Office Communicator and Live Meeting client including all the available updates in each of the Updates folder with WPI on Vista x64.

Mark has already sent me an updated WPI build that changes those two reg keys on its own so, will test this next !

I am SOOOOO happy that this is finally solved ! YUPPPEEEE !! :hello:

Bye,

Alex

@midiboy

If this works, all i can say is you dancer. as mritter says its amazing that IE7 can cause this problem.

I can confirm that i have IE7 slipstreamed into my sp3 disk.

@stoner81

My code is correct, I have just used my install disc's and code to make switchless installers using winrar

and then converted them to CAB addods. This worked fine and all 5 instances of office 2003 installed at

the t13 point.

@mritter

using switchless winrar installers dont work in wpi either the same old error comes up, just thaught id try an

alternative. That said if the debug problem midiboy found fixs the problem i have just reduced the size of

my install disk drastickly. So something good has come of it.

Hi Mark,

unfortunately, the newest build you sent me which sets the two debug regkeys itself did not do the trick or something else went wrong. During the Office 2007 installation while the updates were applied, WPI suddenly started the next installation in the list, Visio while the Office setup was still installing updates. Of course Visio quit with a setup error (only one instance of setup can be run at any one time -> translated error message).

So unless you have other ideas, one probably has to set those keys before starting WPI but I will try again tomorrow. It is late now, so maybe I did something wrong ...

Bye,

Alex

Edited by midiboy